Reputation Protection, Defamation & Privacy
Protecting your reputation
What is involved?
Your right to reputation is enshrined as a human right under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR). It competes in equal measure with another’s right to freedom of expression, under Article 10 ECHR. The balancing act between these two rights underpins the law relating to reputation management in the UK.
Our dedicated IP & Media team are experts in advising on this balance of rights in any given scenario. Our expertise is nationwide and includes advice on all areas affecting reputation including defamation (libel and slander), trade libel (malicious falsehood), harassment, misuse of private information (breach of privacy), breach of confidence; and breach of your personal data under data protection legislation.
We provide a high quality, cost-efficient and solutions driven service aimed at managing and protecting your interests in this arena in accordance with your objectives.
We deal with both sides of the argument and act for claimants and defendants alike whether based in the UK or in a foreign jurisdiction. This provides us with a well-rounded expertise to help resolve your issue, whether that be through strategic pre or post publication advice and assistance or through dispute resolution.
Why choose Freeths?
- We strongly believe that access to justice in the area of reputation should be for all members of the public, from all walks of life and diversity.We help individuals from the UK or abroad with high and low profiles in the sports, media and film industries to protect their rights. We also act for business owners, entrepreneurs, directors, politicians and religious leaders; and we also help students, employees, individuals without employment and the vulnerable with the management of their reputation.We are proud to say that our door is open to all in this specialist area.
- In line with our ethos, we offer flexible pricing plans where possible to help access to justice. In cases of dispute where the merits meet our criteria for offering ‘no win no fee’ type arrangements, and it is certain that your opponent would be able to meet a costs and damages order at the end of litigation, we are willing to consider offering a conditional fee agreement to help fund your case.Additionally, if the need arises in the course of litigation, we have excellent relationships with some of the UK’s top media law barristers including QCs willing to act on the same basis as us.In these instances, we also explore After The Event insurance options with you. More information about our reputation management costs may be found here.
- Because we are national firm and provide a nationwide service, our hourly rates are lower than average rates in the London City legal market for this area. This enables us to provide our clients with excellent value for money wherever they are based in the country.
We have solutions that deal with all aspects of print, broadcast and internet media affecting reputation.
We are particularly strong where the battleground is in the online sphere, and rights are at risk through publications or disclosures on the internet and the wild frontier of social media.
Our work includes all of the following areas:
- Print, broadcast and social media defamations
- Private information disclosed online
- Breaches of your personal and sensitive data
- Privacy intrusions including phone hacking
- Breaches of your image rights in photos and videos
- Revenge porn
- Name and shame websites
- Your ‘right to be forgotten’ and information erasure online
- International online issues and identifying the anonymous
- Online harassment and bullying
- Fake news concerning you
- Media intrusion and requests for comments
- Inaccurate press and broadcast reporting
Our Reputation Protection, Defamation & Privacy Legal Team
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014