“Alison Ogley is fantastic and highly knowledgeable”
(The Legal 500)
Alison has over 15 years’ experience in Planning and Environment law and is an experienced advocate, having been called to the bar in 2014 and practising as a Higher Rights Advocate in Judicial Review and High Court Appeals.
Alison acts for a wide range of development sectors, including minerals and waste, representing clients at Public Inquiries and through the Courts. She has particular expertise as lead advocate in major inquiries and hearings, representing clients appearing before the First Tier Tribunal and Magistrates Courts on environmental cases. Alison advises on contaminated land, environmental permitting and broader climate change and biodiversity issues for a range of business sectors.
She is recognised as a leading individual for both Real Estate Planning and Real Estate Environment in The Legal 500 (2024 edition), and was voted one of the Women of Influence by Planning Magazine in 2021. Alison is also ranked as a leading individual in Chambers & Partners (2024 edition).
- Sizewell C Development Consent Order – acted for a statutory undertaker, advising on water supply issues and the application of the Water Industry Act 1991, to secure protective provisions in the resulting DCO.
- HS2 – acting for affected landowner regarding the implications for sites subject to environmental permits and regulations, including negotiating compensation provisions and access agreements.
- HS2 – acting for affected landowner regarding planning and environmental aspects of compensatory provision of critical infrastructure, including rail infrastructure.
- Port related development and infrastructure – advised on the planning issues arising from the construction of a new Port and Port related development, including surrender of Environmental Permits and complex remediation works.
- New water pipeline construction – acted for affected landowner at the pre-application stage, working with the project promoters to assess and understand planning and environmental issues including impacts on ancient woodlands and landfill management.
- Major landfill development – acted for developer at appeal for 15 year extension of life for non-hazardous landfill and associated infrastructure. Represented the client at a complex two week Public Inquiry, alongside an extensive expert witness team, resulting in the grant of planning permission.
- Rookery Pit Development Consent Order – acted for affected landowner, appearing at Examining Authority hearings and committee sessions as advocate and Parliamentary Agent throughout the Special Parliamentary Procedure.
- Advising on end of waste status for the emerging circular economy, supporting start-up and other businesses to obtain end of waste status for a wide range of products, including agricultural fertilisers, recycled aggregates and rCB;
- Environmental permit appeals, securing negotiated settlements with the Environment Agency on a variety of issues, including the novel application and treatment of waste and disputes relating to BAT;
- Undertaking complex due diligence and advising on environmental risks associated with a wide range of high value and complex developments, including advising on corporate and director liability, environmental permitting issues regarding operational landfills, management of risks associated with pollution incidents and the surrender of environmental permits;
- Negotiating civil penalties and acting for clients in respect of breaches of environmental legislation including the Environmental Protection Act, the Water Industry Act, Environmental Permitting Regulations, and the Waste Packaging Regulations, including advising on and drafting enforcement undertakings across a range of sectors including renewable energy, water, waste and aviation;
- Advising diverse businesses, including residential developers, logistics, waste, minerals, and manufacturers, on the opportunities and obligations associated with Natural Capital, Biodiversity Net Gain, climate change risks and wider ESG strategies;
- Advising on nuisance law and statutory abatement notices including acting as advocate in abatement notice appeals and prosecutions.
- Freeths planning for success in Bristol with senior hire
- Real Estate Blog: Countdown to BNG in November 2023
- Understanding Mandatory Biodiversity Net Gain – Planning and land considerations
- Understanding Mandatory Biodiversity Net Gain
- Mandatory biodiversity net gain rules starting November 2023: Further information published by the Government on 21 February 2023
- Freeths enhances leading UK planning and environmental offering with partner appointment
To contact Alison or for more information…
“I really couldn’t wish for more, I wouldn’t consider going anywhere else for legal support”(The Legal 500)
“Alison is an extremely professional individual who has a great depth of experience”(Chambers & Partners)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014