"Andrew Dashwood-Begg attracts enthusiastic praise, with one source saying he is 'diligent, tenacious, knowledgeable and very sharp'."
(The Legal 500)
Andrew’s work is split between dealing with commercial disputes, with a particular focus on company and partnership disputes and property disputes, focusing on commercial and agricultural property and development. Andrew also uses his experience of managing disputes to advise clients on contractual interpretation and risk management.
Andrew is listed as a Leading Individual in Chambers (2018 Edition) and as a Recommended Lawyer in the Legal 500 (2019 Edition).
Commercial Dispute Management
Andrew has experience of dealing with a wide range of commercial disputes, with a particular focus on company disputes. He has been recommended by clients and legal directories for his ability to handle cases which involve complex facts and technical points of law. Andrew has experience of bringing and defending urgent applications including emergency freezing injunctions and search orders. Andrew is often consulted by clients before disputes arise to advise on the interpretation of commercial agreements.
- Acting for a private investor in a claim against a group of energy companies and their directors following a proposed investment that fell through.
- Advising the UK arm of an international printing company on the termination of a fleet of equipment rental and services contracts.
- Acting on an emergency application for the contested appointment of an Administrator for a technology company resolved through a change of ownership and control.
- Acting for an accountant ousted by his business partners in bringing an unfair prejudice petition under s994 Companies Act 2006.
- Acting for a UK based manufacturing company in a dispute with its North American and Australian distributers.
- Defending a former owner/director against claims of breach of fiduciary duty, preferences and outstanding directors’ loans brought by the liquidator after the company collapsed following sale of the business.
Andrew advises on commercial, agricultural and residential property disputes with a focus on landlord and tenant work. Andrew acts for a wide range of clients including developers, local councils, landed estates, family and investment trusts, private individuals as well as owners and occupiers of commercial units.
- Acting for a farmer on an AHA tenancy challenging a notice to quit (settled favourably at arbitration) where the client’s land was the centre of a proposed new housing development.
- Acting for a landowner defending claims for adverse possession and/or rectification brought by a neighbouring land owner in an attempt to create a ransom strip at the entrance to a large development site.
- Obtaining an emergency injunction over London property in support of ongoing US proceedings.
- Recovering possession of grazing land occupied by a local farmer who claimed to have occupied the land for over 20 years without a written tenancy agreement.
- Advising a landowner on the terms of an option agreement, its termination and avoiding a forced transfer on strongly unfavourable terms.
- Advising an estate on defending claims for misrepresentation following a sale of land and a subsequent attempt by local residents to register public rights.
- Bringing and defending various claims for new commercial tenancies under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954.
“Particularly good at handling cases involving difficult points of law.”(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
“His rapid comprehension, focus on the main points, attention to detail, and speed of response were all really great. Overall, I thought our legal team ran rings round the opposition.”
“Andrew Dashwood-Begg has a keen legal mind and an eye for detail.”(The Legal 500, 2019)
Senior associate Andrew Dashwood-Begg assists with corporate and contractual cases and has experience of shareholder disputes. Sources say: “He’s a real deep thinker and a smart litigator.”(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014