“David Potter is very responsive, pragmatic when giving detailed advice and makes sure we adopt a collaborative initiative that suits the organisation.”
(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
David is an experienced employment lawyer who mainly acts for employers in both the private and public sectors. He deals with all aspects of employment law and practice; including strategic advice, reviews of policies, and procedures and contracts of employment.
David has extensive experience of handling claims in the Employment Tribunal, including complex and sensitive cases. He regularly appears in the Tribunal for clients. David acts for senior employees, usually in connection with settlement agreements. He also regularly speaks on employment law issues at seminars organised by Freeths or by other organisations.
David is recognised as a Leading Individual in Chambers & Partners (2024 edition) and is recognised as a Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500 (2024 edition).
- Assisting a private sector employer with a complex, multiple claimant equal pay case.
- Successfully defending a public sector employer facing an unfair dismissal claim by having the claim struck out and recovering legal costs.
- Defending Employment Tribunal Claims
- HR Matters – HR New Year’s Resolutions 2023 – Derby
- HR Matters – HR New Year’s Resolutions 2023 – Nottingham
- Statutory Guidance on the making and disclosure of Special Severance Payments by Local Authorities
- Employment Law Update – April 2022
- Employment Law Seminar Update: Did I miss anything important?
- Sleep-in workers: not entitled to the National Minimum Wage for time spent sleeping
- Homecare workers: paid to wait for their next appointment
- Employment Law Review – August 2020
- IR35 – Are you prepared? – East Midlands Seminar – 3 March 2020
- HR Seminar: Tribunal Claims – is attack the best form of defence? – Nottingham- 7 November 2019
- HR Seminar: Tribunal Claims – is attack the best form of defence? – Derby – 9 October 2019
- Employment Review – September 2018
- Employment Review: April 2017
To contact David or for more information…
“David and his team provide proactive, focussed and practical advice, striking a balance between the requirements of managers in the dynamic environment of social housing and consideration of the challenges of employment issues in the public sector.”(Mona Sachdeva, Ashfield Homes)
“David Potter has a wealth of experience.”(The Legal 500, 2024)
“He has a great human understanding which, for me, makes the difference between an excellent and outstanding lawyer.”(Chambers & Partners, 2023)
“David Potter is an employment law partner and leads as a solid, approachable presence managing and discussing the case from a tactical point of view and also managing the litigation. David has a wealth of experience and a thorough knowledge of employment law and case law.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“David Potter takes full advantage of his experience and authority to consistently deliver excellent results.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“David Potter has a wealth of experience, is highly responsive and achieves excellent results.”(The Legal 500, 2022)
“He is always very responsive, he provides practical advice and he is proactive.”(Chambers & Partners, 2022)
“David Potter has always been approachable, and has been able to assimilate the complexities of the law quickly and to adapt his advice as appropriate. His advice is solid and practical, underpinned by years of experience which he can draw and apply to different situations.”(The Legal 500, 2022)
“He is always very responsive, he provides practical advice and he is proactive.”(Chambers & Partners, 2021)
David Potter is described by sources as “pragmatic and knowledgeable” and someone “who will be honest with his clients.” He advises on strategic issues and utilises his skills in advocacy to represent employers at tribunals.(Chambers & Partners, 2020)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014