“Dominic Canning is a clear thinker who gets to the important issues quickly.”
(Chambers & Partners, 2023)
Dominic Canning is a Managing Associate based in our Leeds office, specialising in construction and engineering disputes.
Dominic has experience in conducting or assisting with disputes relating to matters of varying value and complexity including technical claims, loss and expense/delay claims, technical M&E and design failings, termination and professional negligence. He is experienced with litigation proceedings including within the TCC and has represented clients in a number of adjudications and enforcement proceedings.
Dominic is ranked as an Associate-to-Watch in Chambers & Partners (2024).
Construction & Engineering Disputes
- Acted for a global contractor in a multi-million pound, multi-party, professional negligence claim brought against it pursuant to a bespoke Design and Build contract for the alleged negligent design, installation and manufacture of specialist equipment.
- Acted for an international Contractor in a multi-million pound claim brought against the Employer following the wrongful termination of the Contractor’s employment under a JCT Design and Build Contract.
- Acted for clients pursuing and defending smash and grab adjudications.
- Acted for a Contractor to assist with the defence of a claim from an Employer following the implosion of a concrete silo.
- Acted for a Main Contractor in an adjudication relating to a Contract for the refurbishment of a property belonging to a high net worth individual. Prepared and presented a claim against the Employer alleging a repudiatory breach of contract arising from wrongful termination.
- Successfully pursued a professional negligence claim against a Contract Administrator for its failure to adequately manage a project.
- Successfully pursued a Final Account adjudication claiming unpaid and overdue sums whilst defending allegations against the client of bribery and deceit.
- Acted for an international contractor in an adjudication involving a complex M&E dispute in respect of the design responsibility of the client, and in particular its responsibility to co-ordinate the design and commissioning of the installation within a multi-storey commercial building.
- Defended a litigated claim brought by a home owner against a local council and the nationwide contractor client for professional negligence and poor workmanship.
- Assisted a global insurer in respect of policy coverage concerning a credit insurance policy following the liquidation of a large Main Contractor.
- Pursued a claim against a contractor responsible for the poor construction of a car showroom. The claim arose due to a ‘wind tunnel effect’ occurring causing an internal wall to collapse.
- Acted for a commercial tenant, in the pursuit of a multi-track claim against a commercial landlord through the Technology and Construction Court for breach of contract. The claim arose due to the presence of vegetation within the guttering of a warehouse sub-let to the client by a third party and owned by a separate landlord.
Clean Energy, Waste & Sustainability
Dominic has experience of advising on a range of projects including FIDIC, IChemE and bespoke forms of contracts in connection with energy and waste.
- Assisted with the preparation and co-ordination of multiple adjudications relating to two Energy from Waste Plants for a major Sub-Contractor against the Main Contractor resulting in enforcement proceedings in the TCC.
- Assisted with the management of a large multi-million pound EPC contract for an ongoing process engineering project.
- Assisted in defending an international corporate client in relation to a claim arising from an explosion in a furnace for recycling waste metals.
- Assisted with pursuing and defending claims relating to alleged defects in a large power plant.
To contact Dominic or for more information…
“Dominic is a highly knowledgeable and diligent lawyer.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“…very talented and knowledgeable solicitor. Has a real attention to detail and excellent technical understanding.”(The Legal 500, 2021)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014