Ed is a responsive and engaging banking and finance partner specialising in real estate finance and corporate banking with a particular focus on alternative lenders as well as clearing banks.
He helps lender and corporate clients across a range of jurisdictions and has a wealth of experience in the development finance space for both private and public sector clients. Ed was ranked in the Legal 500 2018 Edition.
Real Estate Finance
Ed has a wealth of experience in the real estate finance sector, with a particular focus on development and regeneration. Described as ‘first class’ and always willing to ‘go the extra mile’, Ed is a trusted advisor to his clients, providing practical but robust commercial views to ensure a successful transaction outcome.
- Lead a team of finance, real estate and construction lawyers advising a club of lenders (North West Evergreen Fund, a local authority pension fund and the Growing Places Fund (advised by CBRE’s Investment Advisory team)) in relation to a £45m term loan facility provided to Worthington Properties to fund the development of one of Manchester’s most eagerly awaited commercial office developments at 125 Deansgate.
- Advised CBRE’s Investment Advisory team and the North West Evergreen Fund in relation to the £17.5m funding facility provided to Bruntwood to finance the development of Citylabs, a 93,000 sq. ft biomedical centre of excellence.
- Advised a real estate fund in relation to the provision of a £12.5m infrastructure and development loan to unlock land for industrial space and over 500 new homes near Oldham.
- Acted for an Asian investment bank in relation to putting in place development facilities to fund the construction of over 300 student flats in Nottingham.
- Lead a team of finance, real estate and construction lawyers in advising the finance parties in relation to a £20m loan made by the Merseyside Pension Fund to fund the conversion of North Western Hall at Liverpool Lime Street as a Radisson Red hotel.
Banking & Finance
Ed has more than a decade’s experience in advising both lender clients and corporates in relation to the provision of term and revolving facilities, advising regularly on new financings, refinancings and facility amendments. He also has a large amount of restructuring experience, having undertaken a six month secondment in the business support unit of a major UK clearing bank.
- Advised a large UK clearing bank in relation to the multi million pound revolving facility provided to a premium British sportswear and lifestyle brand.
- Advised a large UK technology company, helping them to enter into term and revolving facilities with the UK branch of an Asian clearing bank in order to assist with the growth of the business and to develop new sites.
- Advised a large UK clearing bank in relation to the provision of multimillion pound term and revolving facilities to a multinational professional services company with subsidiaries incorporated across 6 different jurisdictions.
- Acted for a major UK clearing bank in relation to the provision of term and revolving facilities to a multinational digital marketing company and assisting the bank to take security across a range of jurisdictions including the US.
- Helped a major UK clearing bank to enter into term and revolving facilities with a global research, strategy and communications group, putting security in place across the US, Australia and Asia.
To contact Ed or for more information…
Ed has aligned himself to our business becoming not just excellent counsel in all commercial matters but also a good friend who is never too busy to personally provide advice(William Church, Senior Director, CBRE Capital Advisors)
Ed provides steadfast support… reassuringly patient and more than willing to demystify the process and explain matters in simple terms(Claire Edwards, Gloucestershire Infrastructure Investment Fund)
The lead partner, Ed Hall has taken the time to understand what matters to our business and ensures that this remains the focus of the deal rather than trivial point scoring. Ed is pragmatic yet has a keen eye for detail.(Matthew Bovaird, Daiwa Capital Markets Europe Limited)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014