"Edward Pickard – encyclopaedic in litigation know-how and gives prompt, reasoned advice and recommendations which enable us to make commercial decisions and pace and keep up with the needs of the business."
(The Legal 500, 2024)
Edward deals with all Real Estate litigation issues, including lease renewals, exercise of break options, easements, and covenant disputes. He has a focus on landlord-and-tenant work, particularly dilapidations disputes for both landlords and tenants. Edward has been praised for being very approachable.
Whilst Edward is experienced in litigation, he prefers to work with his clients to avoid disputes reaching such a stage. Instead, he focusses on managing the issues to commercial and practical resolutions.
Edward is listed as a Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500 (2024 edition).
- Acting for Aldi in connection with an application for an injunction made by its tenant, Iceland, where Iceland was seeking to prevent Aldi from carrying out an extension to its supermarket in Cambridge. Edward provided both legal and commercial advice throughout and pushed the matter on such that he got to a full trial within 6 weeks at which the High Court dismissed Iceland’s application.
- Acting for a tenant of commercial premises in defending a claim brought by its landlord to forfeit its lease of the premises and seeking strike-out of the landlord’s claim.
- In the context of a business purchase, providing advice to a buyer of 85 retail units on potentially contentious aspects of the various leases, both before and after completion of the purchase.
Edward regularly advises clients with significant portfolios on the day-to-day management of their premises – such as renewals, service-charge disputes, and interference with rights.
He also assists with more strategic elements such as terminations (including the exercise of break options, terminal dilapidations claims etc.) to manage the size and consistency of the portfolio.
- Acting for a retailer whose request for a new tenancy has been opposed by a landlord on the basis that the landlord proposes to redevelop the occupied premises.
- Acting for a landlord in the pursuit of a high-value terminal dilapidations claim.
- Acting for Aldi in connection with an application for an injunction made by its tenant, Iceland, where Iceland was seeking to prevent Aldi from carrying out an extension to its supermarket in Cambridge.
To contact Edward or for more information…
- Property Litigation Association
“With close to 300 stores nationwide, The Money Shop frequently faces property management issues such as contested and uncontested lease renewals, dilapidations disputes, contested rent reviews and unreasonable service charge demands by landlords. Paul Tomkins and Edd Pickard in Freeths’ Real Estate Litigation team work closely with me on these matters. I view Paul and Edd as part of our in-house team. They are both very approachable and provide clear, concise advice which demonstrates that they do not just understand the legal position but also the commercial context in which they are giving their advice.”(Phil Mulroney, Head of Property, The Money Shop)
“Edward Pickard is bright, solid and dependable.”(The Legal 500, 2024)
“fearless when it comes to difficult cases”,(The Legal 500, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014