"Gemma dealt with the day to day running of our cases and she became almost like a friend, having got married and had a baby in the length of time we knew her!"
Gemma Bedford works alongside Jane Williams on a wide range of cases including birth injury cases, complex orthopaedic surgical cases, sepsis and obstetric and gynaecological claims. She has over six years experience of bringing clinical negligence claims.
Gemma is recommended for being approachable and helpful, helping you to feel at ease in difficult and emotional personal situations. She is dedicated to seeking answers and obtaining compensation – enabling you to pay for the care and equipment which you may require after the mismanagement of your medical treatment.
She deals with all types of clinical negligence cases, but specialises in representing children with cerebral palsy and in representing families in fatal cases involving sepsis.
Gemma regularly represents parents whose children have suffered cerebral palsy as a result of failures in medical care during labour and birth. These cases involve experts and therapists of numerous disciplines. She has assisted to purchase and adapt homes for clients who have sustained a brain injury. Gemma also helps to ensure that they have access to the services they require to be as independent as possible, including assisting to secure funds at specialist schools or colleges.
- Assisted in a case which achieved a total payment of £9.25 million, comprising of a lump sum together with yearly payments for life. This was for a woman who suffered severe brain damage at birth, due to negligent medical care by the hospital. She has cerebral palsy and requires 24 hour care. The award will go towards her future care and an adapted home.
- Assisted in a successful birth injury claim in which compensation was secured in the form of a lump sum settlement of £3.5 million. This also included annual payments in respect of care of £206,000 for life and £24,000 in respect of loss of earnings until the claimant reached 65 years of age. Now aged 41, the client has profound disabilities including athetoid cerebral palsy.
Fatal Claims & Inquests
Gemma often represents families who have lost a loved one as a result of failures in medical care. She has been instructed by families to co-ordinate representation at inquests and often assists by liaising directly with the coroner to support the family involved. Gemma can also represent your family after an inquest and has been successful in obtaining compensation. In particular, she has experience of dealing with dependency claims that arise from these sad circumstances.
- The estate and father of the deceased’s two children instructed Gemma and Jane Williams following her death from sepsis. It was alleged that there was a delay in diagnosing and treating the deceased with cervical cancer. Gemma and Jane helped them to recover significant compensation to contribute to the future support of the children. A settlement was secured for in the sum of £450,000.
- Successfully represented a client who suffered a permanent loss of vision in one eye after a delay in diagnosing a pituitary tumour. Gemma helped to secure compensation of £80,000.
- Successfully achieved a settlement of £100,000 for a client who sustained an injury to his urethral sphincter following negligent surgery of the prostate.
- Assisted in successfully settling a claim involving a client who suffered a bowel perforation which led to an ileostomy with a long term stoma following a caesarean section. Compensation was secured in the sum of £175,750.
- Gained a settlement of £150,000 in a fatal case, on behalf of a client whose husband sadly died after suffering a head injury whilst in hospital. The claim included a complicated financial dependency claim.
- Assisted in successfully achieving settlement prior to trial on behalf of a client whose wife sadly died following a failure in diagnosing cervical cancer. The settlement awarded was £450,000.
- Gemma assisted with a large number of Leicester Epilepsy Group Action cases.
“We ended up working closely with Freeths, particularly Gemma, for 5 years on two cases and in that time we built up an extremely good relationship. Both Jane and Gemma have always been professional, thorough, helpful, kind and friendly, and every time we’ve met or spoken, put us at ease. They explained everything that was going on at all stages in layman’s terms and kept us in the picture with all new developments.”
“Gemma dealt with the day to day running of our cases and she became almost like a friend, having got married and had a baby in the length of time we knew her!”
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014