"Gemma dealt with the day to day running of our cases and she became almost like a friend, having got married and had a baby in the length of time we knew her!"
Gemma Bedford works alongside Jane Williams on a wide range of cases including birth injury cases, complex orthopaedic surgical cases, sepsis and obstetric and gynaecological claims. She has over ten years experience of bringing clinical negligence claims.
Recently promoted to Managing Associate, Gemma has specialised in clinical negligence claims for over 12 years. Her experience includes not only various group action litigation but also running her own wide-ranging cases specialising in birth injury, stillbirth & neonatal death cases and other complex medical negligence claims. She is currently acting for several women and families affected by the maternity service at Nottingham University Hospitals that is now under review by Donna Ockenden.
Gemma is recommended for being approachable and helpful, helping you to feel at ease in difficult and emotional personal situations. She is dedicated to seeking answers and obtaining compensation – enabling you to pay for the care and equipment which you may require after the mismanagement of your medical treatment.
She deals with all types of clinical negligence cases, but specialises in representing children with cerebral palsy and in representing families in fatal cases involving stillbirth, neonatal deaths and sepsis.
Gemma is listed as a Recommended Lawyer and recognised as a Rising Star in The Legal 500 (2024 edition) in Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence. She is also ranked as a Star Associate by Chambers & Partners (2024 edition).
Accident & Emergency Claims
Gemma has experience in dealing with claims arising from treatment in the Accident and Emergency Department.
Acquired Brain Injury
Gemma has extensive experience in dealing with a whole range of catastrophic brain injury cases where round-the-clock care is required to cases where the effects of a brain injury are more subtle.
Cerebral Palsy Claims Solicitors
Gemma regularly represents parents whose children have suffered cerebral palsy as a result of failures in medical care during labour and birth. These cases involve experts and therapists of numerous disciplines. She has assisted to purchase and adapt homes for clients who have sustained a brain injury. Gemma also helps to ensure that they have access to the services they require to be as independent as possible, including assisting to secure funds at specialist schools or colleges.
- Assisted in a case which achieved a total payment of £9.25 million, comprising of a lump sum together with yearly payments for life. This was for a woman who suffered severe brain damage at birth, due to negligent medical care by the hospital. She has cerebral palsy and requires 24 hour care. The award will go towards her future care and an adapted home.
- Assisted in a successful birth injury claim in which compensation was secured in the form of a lump sum settlement of £3.5 million. This also included annual payments in respect of care of £206,000 for life and £24,000 in respect of loss of earnings until the claimant reached 65 years of age. Now aged 41, the client has profound disabilities including athetoid cerebral palsy
- Gemma is acting for several claimants and working alongside Jane Williams on a group action against the Maxillofacial Unit at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust. A claims handling agreement has been negotiated with the Trust’s legal representatives and these claims are being investigated under the protocol. Interim payments for claimants are being made regularly and Gemma is working towards settlement in several of the cases where she is instructed. Many of these cases will be substantial claims involving severe facial disfigurements, communication and speech difficulties, unnecessary complications and psychological damage.
- Successfully represented a client who suffered a permanent loss of vision in one eye after a delay in diagnosing a pituitary tumour. Gemma helped to secure compensation of £80,000.
- Successfully achieved a settlement of £100,000 for a client who sustained an injury to his urethral sphincter following negligent surgery of the prostate.
- Assisted in successfully settling a claim involving a client who suffered a bowel perforation which led to an ileostomy with a long term stoma following a caesarean section. Compensation was secured in the sum of £175,750.
- Gained a settlement of £150,000 in a fatal case, on behalf of a client whose husband sadly died after suffering a head injury whilst in hospital. The claim included a complicated financial dependency claim.
- Assisted in successfully achieving settlement prior to trial on behalf of a client whose wife sadly died following a failure in diagnosing cervical cancer. The settlement awarded was £450,000.
- Gemma assisted with a large number of Leicester Epilepsy Group Action cases.
Delay in Cancer Diagnosis
Fatal Claims & Inquests
Gemma often represents families who have lost a loved one as a result of failures in medical care. She has been instructed by families to co-ordinate representation at inquests and often assists by liaising directly with the coroner to support the family involved. Gemma can also represent your family after an inquest and has been successful in obtaining compensation. In particular, she has experience of dealing with dependency claims that arise from these sad circumstances.
- Gemma secured £125,000 for the widow of a gentleman who suffered a catastrophic fall whilst an impatient in hospital. The award of compensation included a substantial claim for future financial dependency.
- Gemma was instructed by the family of a baby who very sadly died very shortly after birth. Gemma and Jane were instructed prior to the inquest into the baby’s death and provided guidance and support to the family during the process, also arranging representation for them at Inquest. Following damning conclusions of the Coroner into the circumstances surrounding the baby’s delivery, a claim was pursued thereafter and the parents were awarded £100,000 to represent the significant emotional effect of losing their baby in such tragic and unnecessary circumstances.
- The estate and father of the deceased’s two children instructed Gemma and Jane Williams following her death from sepsis. It was alleged that there was a delay in diagnosing and treating the deceased with cervical cancer. Gemma and Jane helped them to recover significant compensation to contribute to the future support of the children. A settlement was secured for in the sum of £450,000.
- The loss of a loved one is traumatic for the whole family. Gemma is here to help families through the difficult process of investigating what went fatally wrong.
Gemma can support you if you have suffered an injury during a procedure caused by a mistake made by your surgeon.
Gemma has considerable experience in handling clinical negligence claims involving misdiagnosis and delays in diagnosis or treatment of sepsis.
Neonatal Death and Infant Mortality Claims
Gemma has considerable experience in dealing with stillbirth compensation claims and neonatal death claims arising from maternity negligence.
- Nottingham maternity services have improved but still “Require Improvement” as per CQC Ratings
- Nottingham maternity scandal – minority communities have been the worst affected
- Nottingham Maternity Review now gathering pace as Rishi Sunak addresses parliament
- Appeal to Come Forward – Nottingham Maternity Review
- North East Ambulance Service’s Emergency and Urgent Care rated Inadequate following CQC Inspection
- Ockenden Maternity Review – Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Nottingham University Hospitals Maternity Review – Publication of the terms of reference
- Nottingham Coroner rules “missed opportunities” after baby died following misdiagnosis
- Former Health Secretary was shocked by NHS failings during his time in office
- Proposed Chair of Review into Nottingham Maternity Services Declines the Role Following Uproar from Families
- Health Secretary agrees to meet bereaved families in Nottingham to discuss maternity review
- Government forced to provide report following “inadequate” maternity services
- Nottingham University Hospital’s maternity services rated as inadequate by the CQC
To contact Gemma or for more information…
“She is becoming a very technical, skilful lawyer and has that pragmatism that allows you to do business together.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“She’s a pleasure to work with.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“Gemma is friendly, polite and professional.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“Up-and-coming team members include Gemma Bedford.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Gemma Bedford was extremely helpful and supportive being our advocate every step of the way.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“She’s professional but also has the skills needed to support clients through distressing circumstances.”(Chambers & Partners, 2023)
“Gemma is a cool and confident litigator. She always has a great grasp on the detail of her cases.”(Chambers & Partners, 2023)
“We ended up working closely with Freeths, particularly Gemma, for 5 years on two cases and in that time we built up an extremely good relationship. Both Jane and Gemma have always been professional, thorough, helpful, kind and friendly, and every time we’ve met or spoken, put us at ease. They explained everything that was going on at all stages in layman’s terms and kept us in the picture with all new developments.”
“Gemma dealt with the day to day running of our cases and she became almost like a friend, having got married and had a baby in the length of time we knew her!”
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014