"Isobel has an excellent service ethic."
(The Legal 500)
Isobel is a specialist real estate lawyer, dealing in complex landlord and tenant matters and investment transactions (including acquisition, disposal and management). Her main focus is on occupier clients and she heads a team doing work for several corporate occupiers, a number of national retailers, a global data centre provider, and one of the firm’s university clients.
Isobel’s team deal with a wide range of estate management and landlord and tenant matters for her occupier clients.
These include acquisition and disposal of freehold properties; new leases (acting for both landlord and tenant); renewal leases; licences to assign, underlet and for alterations; surrenders; wayleaves; and planning matters (including section 106 agreements and advising on CPO proceedings).
Isobel is listed as a Recommended lawyer in the Legal 500 (2019 Edition).
- Acting for a private investment company on the sale of office buildings in London valued at £39 million, £20 million and £19 million.
- Acting for a private investment company on a “swap” deal involving the simultaneous disposal of a distribution warehouse for £20 million and acquisition of two hotels let to a national chain for £10 million each.
- Acting for a large corporate client on the disposal of one of its campus sites in part to a residential developer for £11 million and in part to a local authority for a science park for £16 million.
- Acting for a large corporate client on the relocation of their central London Head Office to a newly refurbished building, annual rental in excess of £2 million per annum.
- Acting for another large corporate client on the freehold sale of a central London office building for residential development and the relocation of the business to central London offices in a multi-let building at an annual rental in excess of £1.2 million per annum.
Isobel acts for a number of national retailers and has dealt with several significant transactions involving the entirety of those retailers’ property portfolios. She also deals with all their day-to-day estate management work.
- Acting for a retail client on a group reorganisation, involving the transfer of 50 freehold and leasehold properties to new group companies. This required obtaining consent from numerous landlords and from the client’s bank. Standard, even handed documentation was created to enable the transfers to be dealt with quickly and cost-effectively.
- Acting for a retail client on the acquisition of a group of companies, which increased the retailer’s property portfolio by 80 properties. This involved leading a cross discipline team of 35 lawyers, including 15 real estate lawyers, to complete the transaction in a very challenging timescale. Following completion, the CEO of the company commented “We were delighted to work with the team at Freeths. Their guidance and commitment played a key role in helping us conclude the acquisition which is a key part of our ambitious growth plan”.
“Isobel provides a consistent level of service, with clear direction and an appreciation of the wider business implications and objectives. Property advice that is commercially viable, with the client’s best interests always taken into consideration. She is responsive, understands the company’s needs and drives matters forward to a successful conclusion.”(Richard Yearley, Director, International Real Estate Services, Experian Limited)
“Isobel’s calm and approachable manner, ‘can do attitude’ and all-round professionalism make her, and those who report to her, a valuable asset to Nottingham Trent University. Our operational real estate portfolio is expanding rapidly, in line with our increasing success as a Higher Education Institution – consequently the need for a proactive and enthusiastic property legal advisor is paramount.”(Tim Mee, Estate Transactions Manager, Nottingham Trent University)
“[Isobel] is noted for her excellent pragmatic and commercial approach.”(The Legal 500, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014