"We now have a legal expert we can truly rely on, who gets to the commercial root of the matter, and a firm who we like dealing with as they don't impose their ‘way of doing things’ onto us, but seem to fit into the way we like to work... which this client really appreciates."
(Kevin Griffin, MD Acrobat Carbon Group Limited)
James is a Director and has extensive experience in handling the full range of M&A and Private Equity work, banking and refinancing as well as advising his clients on a range of commercial contracts. This includes advising on MBOs, MBIs and BIMBO and providing assistance to shareholders and directors of large owner-managed businesses and large corporates.
He advises a number of banks and lending institutions on the provision of acquisition finance for transactions, particularly in the healthcare sector. James also acts on numerous acquisitions of pharmacy portfolios for a number of large operators in the healthcare sector, utilising a number of different deal structures. He is also responsible for the relationship with the local offices of a number of PE Houses, Banks and other funders, including BGF, Nat West and RBS and has strong relationships with a number of local accountants.
James is listed as a Recommended Lawyer and a Next Generation Partner in The Legal 500 (2024 edition).
- Advising Corus Hotels Limited and its various group companies on a refinance in excess of £100M. This involved a substantial group restructuring involving intra-group distributions on specie of shares in various group companies and transfers of properties.
- Advising the management buy-in team on negotiations with private equity firm Ardenton Capital Investments regarding the c£30M acquisition of Pebbles Holdco Limited by Ardenton Care Holdings Limited.
- Advising the shareholders of Aurelia Bioscience Limited on the sale of the company to Charnwood Molecular Limited, backed by the PE fund Synova.
- Acting for the shareholders of Dalkeith Laboratories Limited on the sale of the shares in three companies to Kent Pharma UK Limited, backed by the PE House Duke Street Capital.
- Advising on the Statutory Demerger of the global marine asset monitoring business to a newly incorporated holding company, UltraMAP Monitoring Services Limited, from a joint venture vehicle, Seagard Limited.
- Advising Zertus UK on its strategic acquisition of The Sun Valley Nut Company.
To contact James or for more information…
“James was in complete control of the acquisition and conveyed a thorough understanding of the business deal. James is a sound professional, who went the extra mile on this deal under sometimes trying circumstances. We would not hesitate in seeking James’ advice for our next transaction in the UK or recommending James to others seeking advice in the UK.”(Marc D’Amour, CFO Metro Supply Chain Group Inc.)
“We now have a legal expert we can truly rely on, who gets to the commercial root of the matter, and a firm who we like dealing with as they don’t impose their ‘way of doing things’ onto us, but seem to fit into the way we like to work… which this client really appreciates.”(Kevin Griffin, MD Acrobat Carbon Group Limited)
“…extremely client-focused… His confident but grounded approach, particularly given his ability to explain key negotiating points in a way that we fully understood, allowed us to make informed and reasoned judgments on the issues that were most important to us. [James has a] calm and measured approach to negotiations [and] determination to ‘lead’ the discussions at all times and propose reasoned solutions to issues.”(Jonathan Barker, The Watch Lab Limited)
‘James Cowell shows exceptional dedication and drive to get issues resolved and deals complete. Jonathan is a very experienced practitioner, able to drive deals in the right way.’(The Legal 500, 2024)
‘James Cowell, commercially-minded lawyer who is able to focus on pertinent points and drive a transaction forwards.’(The Legal 500, 2024)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014