"Great expertise and technical knowledge at all levels."
(The Legal 500, 2022)
Jane is a Consultant in our Private Client department, known for her specialist knowledge and personable manner. She advises high net worth individuals, company directors, farmers, academics and authors on estate planning to manage and protect wealth through the generations.
Jane acts as an executor and trustee of estates and trusts, including on shore and off shore assets. She is a Court appointed Administrator in contested estates, and a Deputy appointed by the Court of Protection. Jane helps to manage the financial affairs of those who through accident, injury or mental incapacity are unable to do so themselves. She has been a valued Partner at Freeths since 2004.
Jane is listed as a Leading Individual in Chambers (2021 edition). She’s also listed in the Chambers High Net Worth Ranking (2021 edition).
The Legal 500 (2022 edition) list Jane as a Recommended Lawyer.
Court of Protection & Deputyships
Jane is on the panel of deputies appointed by the Court of Protection to manage the affairs of those who, through mental incapacity, are unable to do so. She steps in where there is either no family able to take on the role, or the family is dispute, or a deputy or attorney has been removed by the Court.
Jane acts as a Deputy for those who have substantial personal injury wards but are incapacitated and unable to administer the award. She is also appointed by the court to administer estates where there is a family or beneficiary dispute.
- Acting as Deputy appointed by the Court of Protection for an incapacitated beneficiary entitled on intestacy to administer and inherit a substantial estate. Jane obtained a grant of representation to the deceased’s estate, to include negotiating a deed of variation of the intestate estate for inheritance tax planning purposes for the incapacitate party.
- Acting as Deputy for an incapacitated farmer who inherited his deceased wife’s share of the farm, but was unable to administer his inheritance. Following the death of the incapacitated party, Jane acted as personal representative of his estate, including taking possession proceedings to obtain vacant possession of the farm.
- Appointed by Court to manage the administration of a disputed intestate estate, which had not been properly administered over several decades. She worked with the Contentious Probate and Trusts team to take court proceedings against former administrators for the recovery of assets belonging to the estate.
- Deputy appointed by the Court of Protection to manage multi-million pound compensation award to a minor child resulting from brain injury through medical negligence at birth.
- Trust reorganisation for a farming family working with accountant and corporate colleagues to restructure family company. This was to enable succession to family business and protection of interests in land for family members not involved in the business.
- Advising trustees on partition of multimillion pound trust of investments and commercial properties between life tenant and remaindermen.
- Executor of a multi-million pound landed estate comprising of agricultural land, houses, livestock, and conditionally exempt chattels.
Farms & Estates
Jane advises owners of agricultural and landed estates on succession planning and wealth preservation, including maximising agricultural and business property relief from inheritance tax. She advises trustees and acts as a trustee when required.
- Estate planning for a landed family, including protection of agricultural value for inheritance tax purposes. This involved the creation of trusts of non-agricultural assets and preparation of complex Wills to preserve the estate for future generations.
- Acting for trustees selling a farm following the death of the landowner and the sale/appropriation and distribution of assets between different members and branches of the family. This involved working with the accountants to structure the disposal in a tax efficient way.
To contact Jane or for more information…
- Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners
“I’ve never found anybody quite so easy to work with. If you don’t understand, she’ll start again from a different angle. She is very patient and thorough. I really found her so good and was happy to work with her and discuss quite personal things.”
“Singled out for her ‘professionalism, sincerity and immense knowledge’, Jane Maitland acts as an executor and trustee and is also a Court of Protection appointed deputy for vulnerable clients.”(The Legal 500, 2017)
“Jane Maitland is highly regarded for her private client expertise and her client manner. ‘She’s very accessible,’ says a source, ‘I’ve never found anybody quite so easy to work with. If you don’t understand, she’ll start again from a different angle. She is very patient and thorough. I really found her so good and was happy to work with her and discuss quite personal things.’ The source adds: ‘She is relaxed but professional, that’s the thing. You don’t feel tense, you feel you’re in safe hands. I find Freeths and Jane so refreshingly efficient’.”(Chambers & Partners, 2017)
“Other leading figures include Jane Maitland, who ‘provides wise counsel and a calm approach in difficult circumstances.” “Thoughtful handling of delicate matters.”(The Legal 500, 2017)
“Jane Maitland is highly regarded for her private client expertise and her client manner.”(The Legal 500, 2017)
“…is experienced and gives sound practical advice.”(The Legal 500, 2019)
Jane Maitland regularly acts as a trustee, executor of estates and Court of Protection panel deputy. A client reports that she “handled my affairs with the utmost professionalism, sincerity and immense knowledge. Her wisdom has been invaluable. She responds to any matter with great understanding and in-depth consideration.” She is also recommended by clients for her “great empathy in sensitive situations” and for “giving good, frank advice of excellent quality.”(Chambers & Partners 2019)
Jane Maitland advises a wide range of high net worth clients on wealth protection, and often acts as executor or trustee. A fellow private client solicitor describes Maitland as “lovely” and “very good,” and pronounces themselves “a big fan of hers.” Another source says: “Jane has very considerable experience in wills and estates and is very adept in guiding executors through the minefield of administration.”(Chambers & Partners HNW 2020)
“Jane Maitland is an experienced private client solicitor who advises on all aspects of estate planning and administration. She also advises on Court of Protection matters.”(Chambers & Partners HNW 2021)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014