Partner, Head of Medical Negligence, East Midlands & North East
"‘Jane Williams has been a leading clinical negligence lawyer for almost 30 years. Jane is driven to do the very best she can for her clients, pulling together her team to achieve exceptional outcomes. It is always a complete pleasure to work with Jane, who gives clear advice and instructions, having thought of every angle and implication."
(The Legal 500, 2024)
Jane is head of the Clinical Negligence department for the East Midlands and North East at Freeths and has more than 28 years experience of bringing clinical negligence claims. She has an active practice dealing with cases of maximum severity including spinal, neurological and birth injury clinical negligence claims. She also has a strong track record in misdiagnoses of cancer and epilepsy, having co-ordinated three high profile group actions.
She has an excellent national reputation as a leader in the field of maternity claims with over 30 years experience of dealing with maternal and birth injury claims. She is highly respected, feared by her opponents and renowned for her skill, expertise and commitment to securing the best results for her clients.
“We cannot express our gratitude enough for all your hard work and perseverance over the last few years. It will never undo the pain and suffering our daughter has had to endure or the continued struggle she will face on a daily basis but at least we have closure and can now look forward as a family. We will be forever thankful for the voice you gave our daughter in this injustice.”
Jane is renowned for her friendly and sympathetic approach putting her clients at ease from the outset.
Jane’s aim is always to do the best for her clients and to take away the stress of bringing a claim at what is often a difficult and emotional time. She advocates a team approach and her clients are always involved and integral to this.
Jane is ranked as a leading individual in Chambers & Partners (2024 edition). She is also listed as a Recommended Lawyer and ranked as a Leading Individual in The Legal 500 (2024 edition) in Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence.
Cerebral Palsy Claims Solicitors
Jane has secured many settlements on birth injury claims, including cases involving cerebral palsy. This has ensured her clients and their families have the care, accommodation and support they need.
- Achieved an £8 million payment comprising of a lump sum together with yearly payments for life for a 40 year old man who suffered severe brain damage at birth due to negligent medical care. He has cerebral palsy and requires round the clock care. The compensation has enabled a bungalow to be purchased and adapted to meet his needs and provide for his future care and therapy needs.
Jane has expertise in spinal surgery claims, resulting from clinical negligence during surgical procedures. She has helped to secure multi-million pound settlements for her clients.
- Achieved a lump sum settlement of £3.5 million for a 40 year old woman who suffered damage during spinal surgery at a private hospital and for all practical purposes became confined to a wheelchair and continued to suffer severe pain.
- Jane is currently representing several women who have undergone vaginal mesh or TVT surgery and have since experienced complications and health issues.
Delay in Cancer Diagnosis
Jane has experience of acting for clients with clinical negligence claims involving cancer, including a client whose smear test was negligently reported as normal.
- Obtained an out of Court award of £175,000 for a woman whose cervical smear was negligently reported as normal and who had to undergo radical hysterectomy and radiotherapy as a result of developing cervical cancer.
Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
Jane is part of the specialist team at Freeths who now represent a number of ECT claimants who are coming to us with long lasting effects from ETC treatments.
Maternity Services Claims
Jane is a specialist in maternity clinical negligence claims and has dealt with a wide variety of claims caused by the poor maternity services at NUH.
Jane has experience of acting for sepsis claims, including obtaining a settlement for a husband whose wife died following a failure to diagnose and treat sepsis.
- Obtained an out of Court settlement for £450,000 for a husband whose wife died following a failure by her GP and the local hospital to diagnose and treat sepsis.
- Families call for an inquiry into all maternity services across England following continued evidence of poor maternity care nationwide
- Nottingham maternity services have improved but still “Require Improvement” as per CQC Ratings
- Nottingham Maternity Review: Nottinghamshire Police to launch investigation
- Largest review of maternity services in the UK set to be in Nottingham
- Closure of Fortitude Law leaves vaginal mesh clients looking for representation
- Saving Babies’ Lives 2023 progress report – are overstretched maternity services leading to avoidable losses?
- Nottingham Maternity Review now gathering pace as Rishi Sunak addresses parliament
- Appeal to Come Forward – Nottingham Maternity Review
- North East Ambulance Service’s Emergency and Urgent Care rated Inadequate following CQC Inspection
- Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust fined £800,000 after pleading guilty to two charges
- Ockenden Maternity Review – Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Nottingham maternity review looking into over 1,000 relevant cases
- The Cumberlege Report and the Effects of Primodos
- Nottingham University Hospitals Maternity Review – Publication of the terms of reference
- Review into Failing Nottingham Maternity Services Now Launched
- Nottingham Hospitals Trust at the centre of further Maternity Scandal
- Former Health Secretary was shocked by NHS failings during his time in office
- Proposed Chair of Review into Nottingham Maternity Services Declines the Role Following Uproar from Families
- Health Secretary agrees to meet bereaved families in Nottingham to discuss maternity review
- Inquest finds several “missed opportunities” in sad death of baby Adele O’Sullivan
- Calls for public inquiry into Nottingham maternity services as affected families quadruples in two weeks
- Freeths represent families at inquest into multiple deaths at Nottingham Hospital
- Government forced to provide report following “inadequate” maternity services
- Nottingham University Hospital’s maternity services rated as inadequate by the CQC
- Maternity mistakes: 276,000 incidents logged in two years
- Freeths Guide to Perineal Tears Claims
- Maxillofacial surgery review
To contact Jane or for more information…
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers
- Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies
- Law Society
We are very grateful that you were willing to take our case on, after the disappointment following the inquest. You could easily have said that’s it, we can’t take it any further. But your tenacity and determination has paid off. You have been truly amazing – supportive, informative, patient, warm sensitive and empathetic and we’ve always felt that, regardless of the outcome, we couldn’t have had a better legal team behind us. Unlike many other legal professionals I have encountered, you have always been so approachable and understanding and I have felt that you’ve been able to put yourself, as a mum, in our devastating position, which has helped me in our conversations together. Thank you so much for everything you have done, it is very much appreciated more than you can imagine.
“A warm heartfelt thank you for your support, dedication and hard graft over the last 5 years. Your professionalism has assured our daughter got what she deserved, a secure future with superb living standards and care team. You are a credit to your profession.”
“Just wanted to say a very big thank you for all your help over these past few very emotional years…we are so grateful for the way you have handled everything putting us at ease and getting the best for our son. You have truly been so nice, kind and friendly, it has been lovely knowing you!”
“It’s always a complete pleasure to work with Jane, who gives clear advice and instructions, having thought of every angle and implication.”
“We are extremely grateful to Jane for all her hard work and support on our behalf…we are indebted for everything you have done for us as a family.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“Jane is driven to do the very best she can for her clients, pulling together her team to achieve exceptional outcomes.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“Jane Williams has always reassured and explained the process, her drive, knowledge and passion for her work is outstanding”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Jane Williams is an exceptional lawyer and one of the most caring individuals I have come across in professional life. Jane has devoted her life to ensuring the right outcome for her clients and long may that continue.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Jane Williams is a tenacious but sensible opponent. She is always open to discussing cases. She leads the way on collaborative working – that has probably short-circuited resolution by many months and enabled the Claimant to achieve some measure of closure through sharing her experiences. Jane has the insight to see that resolving claims is a healing process and is about more than money.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“She’s a fantastic solicitor who always keeps the client at the heart of her actions. She is an excellent professional who provides clarity in her communication and is a pleasure to work with.” “Jane always is planning for any eventualities that may occur. She strives to achieve the best outcome, she’s professional and she genuinely cares about her clients.” “Jane’s a very experienced litigator – she has seen it all. She’s commercially minded and puts her client’s interests first. She is sensible and pragmatic.” “Jane is an exceptional clinical negligence lawyer who is prepared to move heaven and earth for her clients.”(Chambers & Partners, 2023)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014