"Jane Williams enjoys a formidable reputation as a 'very influential' and a 'dynamic and compassionate' practitioner who handles 'high-value and very sensitive claims'. Her broad practice includes complex birth injury and brain injury cases."
(Chambers & Partners, 2017)
Jane is head of the Clinical Negligence department at Freeths and has more than 24 years experience of bringing clinical negligence claims. She has an active practice dealing with cases of maximum severity including spinal, neurological and birth injury clinical negligence claims. She also has a strong track record in misdiagnoses of cancer and epilepsy, having co-ordinated two high profile group actions.
Jane is renowned for her friendly and sympathetic approach putting her clients at ease from the outset.
Jane’s aim is always to do the best for her clients and to take away the stress of bringing a claim at what is often a difficult and emotional time. She advocates a team approach and her clients are always involved and integral to this.
Jane is listed as a Leading Individual in Chambers (2018 Edition) and as a Recommended Lawyer in the Legal 500 (2019 Edition).
Jane has expertise in spinal surgery claims, resulting from clinical negligence during surgical procedures. She has helped to secure multi-million pound settlements for her clients.
- Achieved a lump sum settlement of £3.5 million for a 40 year old woman who suffered damage during spinal surgery at a private hospital and for all practical purposes became confined to a wheelchair and continued to suffer severe pain.
Jane has secured many settlements on birth injury claims, including cases involving cerebral palsy. This has ensured her clients and their families have the care, accommodation and support they need.
- Achieved an £8 million payment comprising of a lump sum together with yearly payments for life for a 40 year old man who suffered severe brain damage at birth due to negligent medical care. He has cerebral palsy and requires round the clock care. The compensation has enabled a bungalow to be purchased and adapted to meet his needs and provide for his future care and therapy needs.
Jane has experience of acting for sepsis claims, including obtaining a settlement for a husband whose wife died following a failure to diagnose and treat sepsis.
- Obtained an out of Court settlement for £450,000 for a husband whose wife died following a failure by her GP and the local hospital to diagnose and treat sepsis.
Delay in Cancer Diagnosis
Jane has experience of acting for clients with clinical negligence claims involving cancer, including a client whose smear test was negligently reported as normal.
- Obtained an out of Court award of £175,000 for a woman whose cervical smear was negligently reported as normal and who had to undergo radical hysterectomy and radiotherapy as a result of developing cervical cancer.
To contact Jane or for more information…
- Association of Personal Injury Lawyers
- Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies
- Law Society
“A warm heartfelt thank you for your support, dedication and hard graft over the last 5 years. Your professionalism has assured our daughter got what she deserved, a secure future with superb living standards and care team. You are a credit to your profession.”
“Just wanted to say a very big thank you for all your help over these past few very emotional years…we are so grateful for the way you have handled everything putting us at ease and getting the best for our son. You have truly been so nice, kind and friendly, it has been lovely knowing you!”
“Jane has always been professional, thorough, helpful, kind and friendly and every time we have met or spoken put us at ease.”
“We are extremely grateful to Jane for all her hard work and support on our behalf…we are indebted for everything you have done for us as a family.”
“Loved by clients feared by opponents.”
“Very client focused…she fights for her clients. She doesn’t attempt to extract every penny she can out of the Defendant in respect of her own costs, only in respect of damages.”
“Extremely efficient but pleasant to deal with.”
“Remains highly visible in the market. Her workload includes cases of maximum severity including brain and spinal injuries as well as misdiagnoses of cancer.”
“Jane Williams leads the clinical negligence practice ‘with empathy and great legal skill’.”(Legal 500, 2019)
Jane Williams wins plaudits from market commentators, who describe her as “tactically astute, tenacious and driven by a keen desire to help her clients.” A further interviewee adds: “She has made us feel totally at ease and always reassured us and kept in contact regarding developments and changes in our case.” She frequently advises on claims concerning neonatal injury, negligent surgery, delayed diagnosis and brain damage.(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014