“John Jefferys is extremely commercial and cuts to the chase quickly, understanding what is key and what is not.”
(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
John specialises in all aspects of restructuring and insolvency, having advised all types of stakeholders for over 20 years. His practice is mainly non-contentious, with particular experience in assignments involving real estate and complex real estate structures.
He regularly advises company directors on their duties and obligations all along the distress curve and has worked with many corporate clients acquiring the business and assets of companies whether on an accelerated basis or from insolvency office holders.
For many years john has advised clearing banks, challenger banks, ABLs, sponsors and debt funds on all aspects of their lending / investments from undertaking reviews, supporting them with the restructuring of clients / investments in distress through to enforcement and, where rescue is not possible, insolvency planning and execution.
John has acted for in house counsel advising on a wide variety of issues including supply chain issues, contractual disputes, retention of title, corporate simplification and restructurings.
He also regularly acts for insolvency practitioners of all sizes on advisory assignments (supporting lenders and borrowers) but also acting for them in their capacity as office holders on all types of insolvency appointments. He deals with all aspects of formal appointments including advising on enforcement and appointment, acting on the disposal of assets, technical issues and advising on office holder claims.
He is commercial and very approachable and is always happy to discuss matters by telephone if there is any opportunity to assist clients.
John is ranked as a Leading Individual in Chambers & Partners (2024 edition). The Legal 500 (2024 edition) also recognise John as a Leading Individual for Insolvency and Corporate Recovery.
Restructuring & Insolvency
- Acting for a UK clearing bank and LPA Receivers of a business park in the North West, dealing with advice on enforcement and appointment, estate management issues including lease renewals and advising on disposal strategy;
- Acting for an ABL lender and administrators on the administration of a commodities business including enforcement and appointment, asset realisation, complex intercompany arrangements and investigating and advising on potential office holder claims;
- Acting for a US based fund in its pre-packaged acquisition of the intellectual property rights and good will of a UK based tech company in administration;
- Advising a global power and manufacturing company on the insolvency of its foreign registered contract counterparty including contractual questions of title, jurisdiction and potential claims in the foreign insolvency;
- Advising the administrator of a UK based housebuilding company to include appointing the administrators, dealing with trading issues, advising on the sale of assets including a substantial property, the realisation of a significant debt from a connected party and on potential claims against the former directors;
- Leading a cross group team acting for a corporate client on the acquisition of a significant multinational group of companies in the food manufacturing sector;
- Acting for a global automotive supplier in relation to the administration of a UK logistics company;
- Advising the in house team of a global Hotel group on the insolvency of various hotel operating companies;
- General legal advice and client partner responsibilities for a local higher education institution.
- Freeths advises on brewery acquisition
- Silicon Valley Bank – Practical lessons to be taken forward
- Freeths advises on the purchase of Joules subsidiary
- Preparing for recession: are your clients ready?
- New appointment strengthens Freeths’ restructuring team in Birmingham
- Oxford & Thames Valley webinar: Snakes and Ladders – strategies for the corporate ups and downs
- Snakes & Ladders – strategies for the corporate ups and downs
To contact John or for more information…
‘John Jeffreys is a hands-on commercial insolvency lawyer with a huge amount of experience.’(The Legal 500, 2024)
‘John Jeffreys always responds quickly, and his work is best in class.’(The Legal 500, 2024)
“John is experienced, knowledgeable, commercial and pragmatic.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“John Jeffreys – exceptionally responsive, pragmatic and commercial in the advice given, good all round knowledge even if not his speciality area of law and ensures where other within Freeths are involved he retains control of the matter to avoid a silo approach.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
‘Everyone knows that with partners it is the name on the door that matters more than the name above it, and John Jeffreys is one of the best reasons to work with Freeths. He relates to clients well, is resourceful and creative and forceful when necessary, handling some very delicate situations for us. I cannot recommend him highly enough.’(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Everyone knows that with partners it is the name on the door that matters more than the name above it. and John Jeffreys is one of the best reasons to work with Freeths. He relates to clients well, is resourceful and creative and forceful when necessary, handling some very delicate situations for us. I cannot recommend him highly enough.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“John is an experienced, hands-on restructuring partner who provides guidance through complex situations.”(Chambers & Partners, 2023)
“He is very accessible and responsive.”(Chambers & Partners, 2023)
“John Jeffreys is a strong local restructuring partner.”(The Legal 500, 2022)
“John Jeffreys – High calibre, experienced professional who has excellent client interaction skills and provides a commercial, partner-led approach to restructuring situations.”(Legal 500, 2023)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014