“Liam O’Flynn is extremely bright and passionate about the clean energy market."
(The Legal 500, 2024)
Liam is a clean energy lawyer, focussing on renewables, clean tech, and sustainability solutions. He specialises in clean energy projects, focussing on commercial, regulatory, and transactional work.
Liam has significant experience advising stakeholders at all levels on complex, interconnected, contractual frameworks across the full energy project lifecycle, from early-stage development, acquisitions, project development and operation, to disposals.
Liam advises a wide range of clients, including debt and equity investors, joint venture partners, asset owners and operators, energy supply companies, corporate offtakers, and asset optimisers, supporting them on transaction structure, management, and execution, due diligence, and contract development.
Liam has previous in-house experience from secondments at an oil and gas supermajor acting on offshore ventures, one of the ‘Big Six’ power companies acting on the development of renewable projects, and for the trading and marketing arm of a European oil and gas company advising on energy and emissions trading.
Liam trained at an international law firm and spent five years in the Energy, Transport, and Infrastructure team at a global law firm before joining Freeths in May 2021.
Clean Energy, Waste & Sustainability
Liam’s experience includes ground- and roof-mounted solar PV, battery storage, energy from waste, electric vehicle infrastructure, CHP, public and private electricity network regulation, and energy services.
His commercial and regulatory expertise includes power purchase agreement, battery optimisation contracts, electricity supply terms, electricity licensing and grid connections. He also has significant experience advising on the acquisition and disposal of energy projects for a range of investors and stakeholders.
- Advising Cambridge Power on its strategic framework with Brookfield Renewables for the delivery of 985MW of battery storage and co-located solar projects: Freeths advise Cambridge Power on framework with Brookfield Renewable.
- Lead associate advising Catalyst Capital on the acquisition of a 100MW battery storage project on the site of the former Skelton Grange power station: Freeths advises Catalyst Capital on acquisition of 100MW UK battery.
- Advising a number of different optimisation services providers and licensed electricity suppliers on their standard form optimisation services contracts and PPAs.
- Lead associate advising a JV between a leading global investor and fund manager with over 330 assets under management, and an energy project developer, on the development of a battery storage project co-located with a clinical waste-to-energy plant.
- Advising a FTSE 100 energy company on the energy regulatory, commercial, and transaction matters around its acquisition of a business-to-business customer book portfolio.
- Advising a state-of-the-art food manufacturing campus in the UK on aspects of its energy procurement strategy and energy-sharing infrastructure (including wind, solar, and heat pumps) to create the most sustainable food production community in the country.
- Advising a FTSE 100 energy company on a range of strategic clean energy acquisitions, part of the company’s ambition to build and develop a portfolio of c. 1GW of clean energy assets by the mid-2020s.
- ZEBRA Funding Phase 2 – lessons learnt and considerations for bidders
- The Department for Transport has initiated a new ZEBRA funding round
- Freeths advises on pioneering route-to-market arrangements for co-located solar and battery storage project
- Autumn Statement 2022 – Electricity Generator Levy – Update
- Spiralling energy bills? A quick guide to help businesses cut costs
- Hydrogen in transport
- The Climate Change Committee Report 2022: Decarbonising heat or just a lot of hot air?
- The Climate Change Committee Report 2022: Energy Supply – A Rough Diamond
- The Climate Change Committee Report 2022: is decarbonising UK rail on the right track?
- “Actions speak louder than words”: reviewing the Climate Change Committee 2022 Report to Parliament
- P375 ‘Metering behind the Boundary Point’: a game-changer for electricity asset co-location
- Hydrogen: what’s all the buzz?
- The British Energy Security Strategy: geopolitics, net zero, and missed opportunities
- Heat Networks – Part 2: decarbonisation and regulation
- Impact of the Ukraine Crisis on the Energy Sector
- Freeths Sector Showcase
- Freeths advises Cambridge Power on 985MW battery storage and co-located solar pipeline
- Freeths advises Catalyst Capital on acquisition of 100MW UK battery
- “Evolution not Revolution”: Ofgem launches consultation on proposals for a Future System Operator role
- Bioenergy – the Current Market and Future Opportunities
To contact Liam or for more information…
“Liam is efficient, hard-working, catches on quickly, cheerful, willing, good at managing people, [and] looks for opportunities to expand his repertoire.”(In-house legal counsel, FTSE 100 energy company)
“I have been really impressed with his work ethic and advice; it [was] a tough deal and I appreciate the dedication he has shown.”(General Counsel, FTSE 100 energy trading company)
“On many occasions, the team have recognised that he has gone the extra mile to make [the deal] happen…[he] has always acted professionally…and clearly has us, the client, as his ultimate customer.”(Commercial lead, leading UK supermarket retailer)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014