"Max Orbach is excellent and really does his absolute best for clients in all circumstances."
(The Legal 500, 2024)
Max Orbach is a Managing Associate in our Birmingham office and has more than 6 years’ experience in private wealth disputes, specialising in contentious trust and probate cases.
Max has experience in handling complex cases, including cross border disputes and multi-million-pound estates. Max acts for claimants and defendants in a wide range of claims, ranging from claims brought under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975, trust claims and Will validity disputes to claims relating to beneficial interests in land and property.
Max has been praised by clients for his empathetic approach and for being calm under pressure. His aim is to take away the stress of litigation during what is often and emotional and challenging time.
Max is listed as an Associate to Watch in the 2022 Chambers High Net Worth rankings for Private Wealth Disputes. Max is listed as a Recommended Lawyer and recognised as a Rising Star in the Legal 500 (2024 edition) in Contentious Trusts and Probate.
Max has completed the ACTAPS Associate Membership Course. Max also delivers training seminars for local Law Societies and solicitors and at our annual conference hosted with 5 Stone Buildings.
Contentious Probate Solicitors
- Acted for the professional administrator of a multi-million-pound estate which included a 50% shareholding in a successful private company. Investigated and pursued a claim that a shareholders agreement, entered into by the Deceased in her lifetime, should be set aside on the basis it allowed one of her children to purchase her shareholding at a significant undervalue. Obtained expert valuation evidence and brokered a settlement between the Deceased’s children that allowed the shares to be purchased at an appropriate value.
- Successfully pursued a Will challenge on the grounds that the Deceased did not have the required testamentary capacity or knowledge and approval of the contents of her Will. Obtained a very favourable settlement for the client after issuing proceedings.
- Acted for the administrator and beneficiary of a multi-million-pound estate in four separate sets of legal proceedings. Successfully defended claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975, a claim to propound a forged will and a claim in the Court of Appeal by the deceased’s cohabiting partner for a greater beneficial interest in the deceased’s property.
Court of Protection Disputes
The Court of Protection makes decisions about financial and welfare matters for those who lack mental capacity to look after their own affairs. However, sometimes people can disagree over a particular course of action in relation to a decision made on behalf of the protected person (‘P’).
Max deals with resolving a number of disputes that arise though Court of Protection work, including
- Contesting applications to appoint or remove Attorney’s / Deputies
- Disputes of how P’s finances should be managed
- Abuse of power by an Attorney
- Representing a concerned family member in a complaint to the OPG regarding serious financial misconduct by an Attorney, including accessing P’s funds without proper purpose. This matter was referred to the OPG to produce a report
To contact Max or for more information…
“This fantastic result is the result of your persistence, skill and sheer doggedness under extremely difficult circumstances.”
“A huge thank you for achieving such a good result in such a short time, if only I had used you earlier.”
“I dealt directly with Max Orbach and wouldn’t hesitate to contact him in the future. Max went above and beyond for me and I couldn’t hold him in higher regard. He is extremely passionate, professional and knowledgeable in his field”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Max Orbach continues to be impressive.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Max Orbach is a very deep thinker about his cases, reviewing matters from every angle. A pleasure to work with.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Max Orbach was fantastic, he was ahead of all the other solicitors involved from other firms, his predictions as far as time lines were always spot on and could advise me on what was around the corner, he showed a great understanding of my situation and the difficulties I had dealing with being a defendant.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
I dealt directly with Max Orbach and wouldn’t hesitate to contact him in the future. Max went above and beyond for me and I couldn’t hold him in higher regard. He is extremely passionate, professional and knowledgeable in his field.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Max Orbach is a strong managing associate.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Does a very detailed job and has a really nice manner about him.”(Chambers High Net Worth 2022)
“Max works hard and sensitively with clients to achieve a pragmatic compromise.”(Chambers High Net Worth 2022)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014