"I have worked with Miles Hacking for a number of years now. He is very responsive and offers practical advice for resolving complex issues."
(The Legal 500, 2023)
Miles Hacking, who is also a qualified insolvency practitioner, deals with all aspects of corporate and personal insolvency, acting in respect of a wide variety of contentious and non-contentious issues. He acts for both national and regional insolvency practitioners as well as company directors, debtors and creditors.
In terms of personal insolvency, Miles regularly advises and acts in respect of Possession and Sale Applications, Income Payments Orders, Suspension of Discharge from Bankruptcy Applications, Delivery up and Examination Orders, Transaction at Undervalue, Preference and Excessive Pension Contribution Claims, Bankruptcy Petitions and Annulment Applications.
Miles’ corporate insolvency experience includes acting in respect of Administrations, Appointment, Business and asset sales/purchases, Post Appointment Advice, Liquidations, Office holder investigations, Delivery up and Examination Orders, Antecedent Transaction Claims, and Winding Up Petitions.
Miles is listed as a Recommended Lawyer and recognised as a Rising Star in The Legal 500 (2024 edition).
Restructuring & Insolvency
Miles also advises creditors (including institutional lenders), debtors, company directors and family members of debtors faced with possession and sale proceedings.
Notable reported decisions include:
- Jackson v Ayles & Pumphrey  EWHC 995 (Ch) – successfully obtaining a declaration that a charge secured on a bankrupt’s matrimonial home was unenforceable under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000.
- Thomas v Bulathwela  EWHC 3511 (Ch) – successfully defending an appeal made in respect of interlinked orders for possession and sale
- Stanley and Barber v Wilson and Others  BPIR 227 – obtaining the first ever reported decision for a successful Excessive Pension Contribution Claim issued by a Trustee in Bankruptcy.
- Preston v Green (Liquidator of Cre8atsea Ltd)  EWHC 2522 (Ch) – acting for the Liquidator in respect of a director’s failed application to rescind an order for the winding up of the Company.
- Sports Management Group Ltd (In Liquidation), Re  B.P.I.R. 1224 – successfully obtaining judgment against a de facto director for payments made by the Company when insolvent.
- Wilson v Williams  EWHC 1841 (Ch) – successfully defending a Bankrupt’s appeal against an order for his examination and suspension of his automatic discharge from bankruptcy.
To contact Miles or for more information…
‘Miles Hacking is excellent at client management and is able to deal with urgent matters very well.’(The Legal 500, 2024)
Miles Hacking – technically excellent and commercially minded!(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Kevin Pinkerton and Miles Hacking are a very good team, providing overall leadership and guidance on a wide variety of matters. They are both available at the end of a telephone call and can accommodate your requirements for advice efficiently. Just knowing that they are on the end of a telephone means that as an IP, you always have good backup.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“…providing overall leadership and guidance on a wide variety of matters.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014