Nick is a commercial lawyer specialising in projects with a Real Estate focus, having operated in the Scottish market for over 25 years. He has acted as lead partner and CRP for Aldi’s Scottish Regional work for over 15 years, advising cradle to grave on their Scottish expansion dealing with strategy, feasibility, site acquisition, development, management and (occasionally) disposal.
He has also carried out much the same role in the Care Home sector advising Scottish clients on the acquisition, development, consenting, sale and letting of residential care accommodation.
Recently he developed an interest in the world of energy transition and have developed a practice in the field of Renewable Energy. Nick acted for a wide range of funders, developers and investors; from major European Investment Funds to smaller local developers and landowners.
- Acting for Aldi Stores Limited on their Scottish expansion.
- Acting for Alcemi Storage Developments on their entry into the UK market on a pan UK mandate
- Acting for a major Scottish Care Home Developer on the forward funding and development of care homes in Scotland
- Acting for a major Energy company on the disposal of its biomass facility
- Acting for a European Infrastructure fund on the acquisition of a wind farm in Argyll
- Acting for a Japanese bank on a funding bid for OFTO transmission assets
Acting for a leading Scottish Care Home developer in their Scottish expansion. Dealing with strategic land acquisition and assembly; consenting issues, site subdivision. Leading on subsequent forward fund by European Investment fund requiring complex € to £ exchange hedging mechanism on construction costs and price.
Specific cases/work examples: Have advised Aldi Stores Limited for 15+ years on their store expansion programme dealing with plain vanilla site acquisitions and disposals through to judicial reviews; forward funded pre lets; portfolio sale and leasebacks and multi occupancy developments.
Clean Energy, Waste & Sustainability
- Lead partner for Alcemi Stores Limited on their BESS projects in Scotland and England. Advising on strategic land matters, site identification, Option and Lease arrangements; Grid Connection strategy; consenting issues. Acted in the forward fund of 4.5 GW of secured development by Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners.
- Acted for various developers in the securing, financing and sale of Land and Grid Connection rights for the development of onshore wind and hydro developments in Scotland. Advising on the resolution of landowner claims and disputes.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014