“Nicola gave clear and practical advice and was empathetic to all involved. She was able to understand our particular context immediately and quickly identified the steps needed towards a positive outcome.”
(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
Nicola has practised employment law for over 18 years, advising employers and employees on all aspects of the working relationship. She has notable expertise on both sides of the table in drafting and negotiating exits and settlement agreements for senior executives, including where there are complex or high value bonus or share option issues and advising on post-termination restrictive covenants.
She works with HR teams, in house lawyers, senior management and business owners across a range of sectors (including education, retail and professional services), and partners with them to manage and resolve complex people issues. She has extensive experience in supporting overseas businesses with their UK operations and people matters, as well as efficiently supporting family offices with sensitive staffing matters. She advises on redundancies and business restructures, the provision of contracts and associated documentation, complex grievances and disciplinary issues, and managing litigation.
Clients value Nicola’s responsiveness and approachability.
Nicola is ranked as a Next Generation Partner in The Legal 500 (2024 edition).
Nicola is recognised as a Leading Individual in Chambers & Partners (2024 edition)
- Advising a large employer on its successful defence of disability discrimination proceedings.
- Advising an employer on documenting and implementing suitable commission arrangements for sales staff to incentivise strong performance whilst maintaining flexibility for the employer.
- Advising a senior executive on exit terms to secure significant improvement in their position both financially and in relation to their ability to move on to work elsewhere.
- Freeths Strengthens Employment, Pensions and Immigration Team with Eight New Lawyers
- Employment law webinar: How to convert a loss into a win – remedies in the Employment Tribunal
- Oxford Employment and HR Forum: Managing sickness absence and supporting employees with mental health issues
- Freeths strengthen Employment offering with strategic appointment
To contact Nicola or for more information…
“Nicola has been utterly consistent in the very high quality of her responses and product.”
“Nicola is great, always well informed and gives balanced advice.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“Nicola Wallbank – devoted to her clients, tenacious about getting to the bottom of things, kind and thoughtful in her dealings with clients, opponents and fellow professionals.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Nicola Wallbank is fantastic – down to earth, commercial and precise legally as well.”(Chambers & Partners, 2022)
“She is keenly aware of what her clients want out of advice they are receiving and gets to the nub of issues very quickly.”(Chambers & Partners, 2021)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014