"I have now dealt with Oliver for several years. It goes without saying that the technical expertise of him and his team is first rate - what makes them stand out is their willingness to go the extra mile. Should Oliver need to work whilst he's on holiday or at the weekend to get the job done, he has done so without question or complaint. This work ethic gives me the confidence that once I have instructed Freeths, I know the deadlines will be met."
(Kris Wigfield, Managing Partner of Begbies Traynor Sheffield)
Oliver specialises in all aspects of insolvency, restructuring and corporate recovery work including contentious and non-contentious matters. He has over 15 years’ experience advising all stakeholders involved in insolvency and restructuring matters, including insolvency practitioners, debtors, creditors, corporate clients, directors, investment funds as well as major high street banks and other lenders.
Oliver’s recent work includes advice on high profile restructurings, trading/pre-pack administrations and complex liquidations.
Oliver is listed as a Recommended Lawyer and a Leading Individual in The Legal 500 (2024 edition).
Oliver is ranked as a Leading Individual in Chambers and Partners (2024 edition).
Restructuring & Insolvency
Oliver is experienced in corporate insolvency matters, undertaking contentious and non-contentious work.
Oliver regularly advises insolvency practitioners acting as administrators in relation to the appointment process, pre-pack and post-appointment sales of company assets and businesses, administration trading issues, antecedent transaction claims and various other matters during the administration process.
Oliver also advises liquidators in relation to creditors’ claims, ROT issues, dealing with winding up petitions and CVL’s, the recovery of assets from debtors and taking actions against directors.
Oliver also advises in relation to:
- Directors’ duties and obligations in scenarios where a company is in financial difficulty.
- Advising the directors of companies in an insolvency process in relation to claims against them from an administrator or liquidator.
- CVAs and IVAs.
- Personal insolvency matters including advising trustees in bankruptcy on all matters relating to the bankruptcy and bankruptcy estate including issuing possession and other proceedings, income payment arrangements and claims in the bankruptcy.
- Dealing with statutory demands, winding-up petitions and debt recovery.
- Advising the administrators of The Holiday Place Plc – a large holiday tour operator company, which had been trading for nearly 30 years. This involved advising the administrators on the repatriation process, the sale of certain assets and other administration insolvency matters.
- Advising a buyer in respect of the pre-packaged acquisition of the business and assets of a company specialising in the development of clean energy products and energy efficiency and environmental sustainability technologies from its administrators.
- Acting for the Administrators’ of a manufacturer of automotive cleaning products in relation to the sale of the company’s business and assets to two separate parties who each acquired separate parts of the company’s business.
- Advising the administrators of a group of companies in the UK beverage industry operating off-license stores trading under various high-street brands. Oliver advised on the trading and ultimate disposal of over 150 stores to over 8 separate purchasers (Winerack, Victoria Wines, the Local).
Oliver specialises in advising companies and directors of financially stressed companies in working through solvent solutions for rescue, including refinancing and creditor arrangements. Oliver has worked on some of the largest and most complex restructurings nationwide within the last 15 years.
Oliver is experienced in liaising and negotiating with various high profile stakeholders and providing strategic advice to the client during the course of the restructuring process. Oliver has advised on restructuring matters in various sectors including retail, hospitality and transport
- Acting for a local authority with a population of over 300,000 in relation to a large restructuring in the sports sector and dealing with various high profile stakeholders including suppliers, customers and other local authorities.
- Advising the operating company of a large UK Port in relation to a complex restructuring. This involved extensive negotiations with certain high profile parties.
- Advising an international manufacturing group on the acquisition of significant assets from the administrators of two UK based packaging companies.
- Advising a company operating in the construction sector on the process of placing a subsidiary company into an insolvency process as part of a restructuring process and the relevant considerations for the parent company;
- Leading 4 complex and unprecedented restructurings of the UK Coal businesses between 2012 and 2015.
To contact Oliver or for more information…
“Oliver has advised and acted for Wilson Field for a number of years on matters of insolvency and commercial litigation. He is well known, respected and trusted in the local legal and financial communities. The service we receive is consistently of a high standard and delivered in a friendly manner. The nature of our work means that sometimes there is a degree of urgency and in such circumstances Oliver is quick to respond without compromising professionalism or quality.”(Lisa Hogg, Director, Wilson Field Limited)
“Oliver and his team provide an excellent all round service. The quality of their advice and speed of response is exceptional. I cannot recommend them enough.”(Andrew Davenport, Managing Director of Maxim Business Recovery & Insolvency Services)
“Oliver is an excellent lawyer all round.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“In my opinion, Freeths is in an extremely strong position in its insolvency and recovery department due to the calibre of staff it continues to attract due to partner, Oliver Jackson.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Oliver Jackson is a very experienced and knowledgeable restructuring and insolvency lawyer who should be recognised among the very best in the Yorkshire and Humber region.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Oliver Jackson has a breadth of knowledge and is commercial in his approach to insolvency issues.”(Chambers and Partners, 2023)
“Oliver is both attentive and knowledgeable, but more importantly is able (and willing) advice from a commercial viewpoint. Something which is incredibly valuable to those in the restructuring sector. Many legal professionals are capable of providing a myriad of different options in any given situation, but few are prepared to recommend a definitive solution.”(The Legal 500, 2022)
“… very good at identifying potential problems.”(The Legal 500, 2022)
“Our primary contact at Freeths is Oliver Jackson. No matter how busy he is, Oliver will always make time for you. Oliver is quick to grasp the key components of often quite complicated matters, and can always be relied upon to provide clear, concise and (most importantly) commercially focused advice. I would have no hesitation recommending Oliver to others and in fact have done so on a number of occasions.”(The Legal 500, 2021)
“He is particularly good at finding the balance between technical and commercial to provide a pragmatic solution to any problem.”(The Legal 500, 2021)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014