“Paul is very easy to get on with and incredibly hard-working with great judgement.”
(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
Paul is a commercial litigator in our Oxford office with extensive experience fighting the corner for individual and business clients by resolving their disputes and protecting their commercial interests.
Paul deals with a full range of commercial disputes, often for businesses in the logistics sector.
Paul can also assist with property, professional negligence, and contentious trusts and probate disputes (having represented several national charities).
Paul is ranked as an Associate to Watch in Chambers & Partners (2024 edition)
Commercial Dispute Resolution
For logistics clients:
- Successfully defending a multi-billion pound logistics company in a summary judgment application overcoming the long-established principle that a defendant is not entitled to raise any counterclaims (including by way of set off) that it may have in order to reduce the freight payable under a contract of carriage (and favourably settling the matter at mediation shortly afterwards);
- Settling a high court claim at mediation, on mutually agreeable terms (including with regard to other commercial interests outside the direct parameters of the claim), for an alleged failure to meet a minimum requirement in respect of volumes of freight brought through the port per year;
- Advising our client on an alleged breach of contract and loses allegedly caused by a failure to follow the First In First Out scheme which was said to have formed part of the contract; and
- Continuing to act for a client in a multi-million pound conversion exercise for the recovery of thousands of its stolen proprietary pallets used in the transportation of its freight.
Other commercial cases:
- Success at trial for a claimant private jets company in an aviation dispute regarding the meaning of certain aviation specific phrases within a contract and the liabilities that would naturally flow from them despite not being explicitly set out;
- Successfully negotiated a settlement in a multi-million pound dispute for a property management company arising from the final payment of deferred consideration under an SPA and our client’s claim for multiple breaches of its warranties;
- Successfully opposing a request for an expedited hearing in the Commercial Court for a declaration and injunction regarding a contract our client, a highly specialised scientific instruments manufacturer, had terminated. The dispute was subsequently settled on very favourable commercial terms for our client;
- Acting for a number of individual landowners in an expert determination process to secure a high seven figure sum in respect of an option agreement with a developer;
- Advising our individual client regarding the repayment of a number of director’s loans in the face of a six-figure claim for alleged multiple breaches of warranty following the sale of the entire issued share capital of the business;
- Successfully defending an individual at trial in a claim for fraudulent breach of trust regarding the sale of land outside the jurisdiction; and
- Negotiating a favourable settlement for a contract management and procurement company following a dispute with an NHS Trust regarding the termination provisions of their agreement.
Paul has also acted or is currently acting on:
- Obtaining a possession order at a two day trial having defeated an overriding beneficial interest argument;
- Advising a developer regarding the alleged negligence of its consultant in its advice on the Community Infrastructure Levy and its pre-conditions for eligibility (and conduct that might lose you your entitlement to the Levy);
- Advising an Oxford College on the eviction of squatters from prime real estate which attracted significant media attention; and
- Defending a number of proprietary estoppel and ’75 Act claims
To contact Paul or for more information…
“He brings a very calm approach to cases and is an excellent tactician.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“… very thorough and able to take a good tactical view of a dispute.”(The Legal 500, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014