Paul is an experienced commercial lawyer based in Oxford.
He handles a mixture of disputes in various sectors, including those relating to contentious trusts and probate (predominantly on behalf of national and local charities), general commercial disputes, property disputes and professional indemnity claims.
Contentious Trusts & Probate
Paul has a wide range of experience in Contentious Probate Disputes, acting for both individuals but predominantly local and national charities. Paul advises on Inheritance Act claims; proprietary estoppel and generally with regard to disputed wills.
- Defending a number of proprietary estoppel and ’75 Act claims.
- A claim for the recovery of a substantial lifetime gift due to presumed undue influence and lack of capacity.
- Settling a claim for rectification and construction of a Will, to prevent an unintended intestacy.
- Opposing an application for a Statutory Will.
- Advising on claims in negligence relating to poor Will drafting and lifetime advice to testators.
- Drafting press releases on matters where there are concerns regarding adverse publicity.
Commercial Dispute Management
Paul has successfully acted on a range of Commercial Litigation cases, whether for individuals or local, national and multi-national companies (as Claimant or Defendant) predominantly regarding breach of contract and/or negligence disputes.
- Settling a breach of contract claim and counterclaim at a 3 day trial for a large multi-national company.
- Successfully defending a large multi-national company against an unmeritorious claim for breach of an oral contract, resulting in the claim being struck out.
- Pursuing a six figures claim for damages arising out of the defective design of fire proof doors and windows for a project in Kazakhstan.
- Successfully fending off a claim by a building company under the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957 on the basis that the Claimant was likely a trespasser and damage was done to property alone.
- Acting for a local company in pursuing a claim for unpaid invoices and defending a counterclaim for breach of contract, breach of the Data Protection Act, negligence and breach of confidentiality.
- Advising one of the best selling luxury automotive manufacturers in the world regarding their claim against a contractor for their employees’ theft of goods from one of our client’s production plants.
- Settling favourably, on behalf of various national charities, two separate sensitive and complex spousal Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act 1975 claims.
- Evicting organised squatters from prime real estate on both commercial and residential property, which was the subject of intense media scrutiny.
Paul acts for a variety of clients, including individuals, local councils and multi-national companies, to assist with property disputes. Recent cases include advising on boundary disputes, enforcement of covenants, rights of way and evicting squatters.
- Advising a client regarding a trespass on their land in relation to substantial building works undertaken by a third party and threatening injunctive proceedings and/or a claim for damages against the perpetrator.
- Eviction of organised squatters from prime real estate with which attractive substantial media attention.
- Advising a local parish council on a boundary dispute.
- Eviction of new age travellers from land bequeathed to charities.
- Assisting a number of individuals in boundary dispute to regain land their neighbours had sought to claim and/or claim rights over.
Paul has expertise in Professional Indemnity cases, acting successfully for a number of insurers in defending claims arising from alleged negligence against the insured.
- Successfully defending the insured mortgage brokers against a claim of undue influence by a spouse relating to a mortgage advance, resulting in the claim being dismissed.
- Successfully settling a counterclaim for negligence in favour of the insured solicitors in response to an unpaid fees claim, resulting in a net payment to the insured.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014