"Rachael Yates has consistently provided good value, technically sound, fantastically responsive, commercially focused dispute resolution advice to a number of our project companies."
(Paul Andrews at Amber Infrastructure)
Rachael is a dispute resolution lawyer with expertise in managing construction and engineering disputes. In the public sector she has acted for Authorities, Project companies and contractors on claims relating to project cost overruns, award of deductions and the levy of service failure points.
In the private sector Rachael has acted for contractors, developers, professional consultants, investment companies and insurance companies. She advises clients in adjudications, mediation and litigation in the Technology and Construction Court and has been involved in arbitrations both domestic and international.
Rachael is ranked as a leading individual in Chambers & Partners (2024 edition) and listed as a Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500 (2024 edition).
Construction & Engineering Disputes
Rachael works with clients from all sectors of the construction industry, acting for both public and private bodies.
- Advising on issues arising from cable replacement works from an offshore wind farm to an on shore substation.
- Acting for an engineering company in relation to claims brought by a sub-contractor for works carried out on a submarine rescue vehicle which required analysis of complex design issues. The claim was settled at mediation within the parameters identified in our risk report to the client.
- Acting for an engineering company in relation to claims brought by the main contractor for liquidated damages and performance related damages. The claims arose pursuant to a contract for the design, procurement and commissioning of a compressor. The claims were successfully settled with the client paying £0 to the main contractor.
- Advising a global player in the PV sector on $multimillion claims brought against them for allegedly defective modules installed at a solar farm. Avoiding formal arbitration proceedings was key to the client’s future restructuring plans, which impacted on the tactics for negotiation in order to achieve settlement on commercially acceptable terms.
- Acting for ProjectCo in relation to claims of defective pipework at a PFI school, where the proposed solution was a £3 million pipework replacement. Procuring active engagement from all involved parties in order to minimise exposure of ProjectCo.
- Advising a defendant in relation to claim arising from allegedly defective engines utilised in an oil field in Yemen; claim brought in Canada and settled ahead of disclosure/discovery.
- Advising a creative engineering and staging company in relation to works at a Universal Exhibition in Milan.
- Acting for a civil works contractor in relation to the construction of a hydro scheme – employing a tactic of multiple adjudications on simple winnable points for the client to bring the employer to the table to negotiate a favourable settlement.
- Risk management review for owner of thermal power station in relation to the construction of a biomass facility.
- Acting for a Korean contractor in an ICC arbitration concerning dredging works at a port,
- Acting for a groundworks contractor in an ICC arbitration in relation to the construction of a motorway;
- Acting for a contractor in a domestic arbitration under the JCT CIMAR rules in relation to the construction of a food manufacturing and storage facility advising on final account claims and counterclaims for defective works.
To contact Rachael or for more information…
“Our Rachael is very approachable and always finds time to listen, she reacts quickly and concisely to questions and provides any subsequent services to agreed timescales and within agreed budget costs. She provides clear advice in a language that we understand with an eye on an outcome that is best for us, one that is always commercially driven. Her advice is always practical and related to her previous experiences.”(Andy Leatham, Alan Auld)
“Rachael Yates has consistently provided good value, technically sound, fantastically responsive, commercially focused dispute resolution advice to a number of our project companies.”(Paul Andrews, Amber Infrastructure)
“Rachael is a skilled and tactically astute construction solicitor with a great approach to client care.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“She is always very aware of the project’s complexity and easy to communicate with.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“If I have ideas, she will challenge me and vice versa.” “Rachael is personable, knowledgeable and challenging.(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
‘Racheal Yates offers exceptional attention to detail and is essential in construction disputes.’(The Legal 500, 2024)
“At partner level, I have worked closely with Rachael Yates. She has extraordinary attention to detail and whilst managing multiple matters, knows so much about her clients’ businesses that she can turn herself to emerging issues in seconds. She is sharp, intelligent and committed to her clients.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Rachael Yates is an experienced construction partner. She has an excellent rapport with clients across all levels of an organisation. She is diligent and extremely knowledgable.”(Chambers & Partners, 2023)
“Rachael is very good on the contentious side of complex construction matters. She has a strong practice.”(Chambers & Partners, 2023)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014