"Thomas Childs is an up-and-coming restructuring and insolvency lawyer in the region. Thomas is certainly one to watch."
(The Legal 500, 2023)
Tom is a Senior Associate in the Restructuring and Insolvency Team in Freeths’ Sheffield office. Tom joined the team in January 2017 and has since developed a wide range of experience on a variety of restructuring and insolvency matters. Tom focusses on corporate restructuring and insolvency but has experience in advising on both corporate and individual insolvency processes.
Tom advises insolvency practitioners, directors, individuals and other stakeholders on a range of non-contentious and contentious insolvency matters. Tom has several years’ experience in advising on corporate insolvency processes including administrations, liquidations (both compulsory and voluntary). Tom also regularly advises corporate clients and individual directors on directors’ duties and their obligations in scenarios where a company is in financial difficulty including contingency planning processes.
Tom advises insolvency practitioners on various aspects of corporate insolvency processes including:
- the appointment process both in and out of court;
- pre-pack and post-appointment business and asset sales;
- security validity reviews;
- antecedent transaction claims against directors and other third parties
- applications within insolvency proceedings.
Tom was recently ranked as a “Recognised Practitioner” in the Chambers and Partners rankings for Restructuring and Insolvency in Yorkshire. Clients also described Tom as “an up and coming restructuring and insolvency lawyer in the region” who is “one to watch” in the 2023 edition of the Legal 500.
Restructuring & Insolvency
Tom has experience in corporate and personal insolvency matters, undertaking contentious and non-contentious work. Tom regularly advises all stakeholders involved in insolvency matters, including insolvency practitioners, debtors, creditors, corporate clients, directors and individuals.
Tom assists in advising companies and directors of financially stressed companies in working through solvent solutions for rescue, including refinancing and creditor arrangements in various sectors. This often involves providing strategic advice to the client during the course of the restructuring process.
- Advising the administrators of a group of property investment companies on a number of complex issues in the administrations including the validity of security, the realisation of the group’s assets and a contentious creditors’ administration application;
- Advising the administrators of The Holiday Place Plc – a large holiday tour operator company, which had been trading for nearly 30 years. This involved advising on the sale of certain assets and other administration insolvency matters;
- Advising a company operating in the construction sector on the process of placing a subsidiary company into an insolvency process and the relevant considerations for the parent company and its board of directors;
- Advising the administrators of a commercial cleaning business on the appointment process and the sale of the business and assets of the company resulting in the rescue of a number of jobs.
To contact Thomas or for more information…
Distinction in the LPC MSc Masters in Law, Business and Management
“The team in Sheffield is continuing to grow and has quickly established itself as one of the premier insolvency & restructuring offerings in the local market. The team has and continues to provide a fantastic service.”
“The advice we receive is prompt, commercial and always tailored to the specific circumstances of the assignment. The Freeths team are uniquely placed to assist with both local and national matters due to the depth of knowledge and experience within the team and their ability to act on a contingent basis when required.”
“Freeths provide a first class service in a range of restructuring and insolvency matters.”
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014