Toby is an experienced employment law solicitor. Toby predominately provides legal advice to business with a particular focus on managing employee issues, defending employment tribunal claims, enforcing restrictive covenants / confidentiality provisions, advising businesses on restructuring and consultation exercises, supporting organisations in their employment focussed GDPR compliance programmes, advising on executive dismissal and negotiating severance packages as well as providing TUPE support in corporate transactions. Toby provides focused and relevant employment law training seminars for businesses, employers and HR professionals.
Toby specialises in conducting litigation in the Employment Tribunal. Toby performs his own advocacy and regularly appears in tribunals across the country representing clients in both preliminary and final hearings. Toby regularly engages in advocacy over multi-day hearings relating to complex discrimination or dismissal claims.
Toby provides sensible, pragmatic and commercial advice. Toby regularly advises on how best to manage complicated grievances and disciplinary matters. Toby provides straightforward advice on how to practically manage internal investigations and conduct collective consultations.
Toby is hands-on in his approach. Toby meets with clients to understand their aims and will often chair internal hearings for dismissals, investigations and consultations as well as both disciplinary and grievance meetings.
Toby began his legal career in a trade union law firm in South Yorkshire providing advice to national trade unions and their members. Toby uses this experience to guide employers through difficult or challenging trade union negotiations.
Toby also works with senior employees, directors, partners and key stakeholders in negotiating disputes and / or settlement agreements.
Toby is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association. Outside of work, Toby is an Associate Governor and the Data Protection Officer for William Levick Primary School.
- Advising on the amalgamation of a multi-site manufacturer in the West Midlands. Engaging in a collective consultation and redundancy exercise involving 100+ staff.
- Large multi-day litigated employment tribunal matters which went to final hearing with listings for a 3 day constructive unfair dismissal claim, an 8 day race discrimination claim and, an 8 day disability discrimination and reasonable adjustments claim.
- Carrying out an internal sexual harassment investigation for a Yorkshire employer inclusive of independently interviewing relevant witnesses and providing a conclusions and recommendations report.
- Assisting a national charity with the screening, recruitment and on-boarding programme for its CEO.
- Assisting circa 200 employees with Settlement Agreements as part of a release scheme from a red brick University.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014