Skip to content
Freeths - Law firm

Making a Will after Divorce

Ensuring your wishes are carried out

What is involved?

If you are in the process of getting divorced or your civil partnership dissolved, we would always recommend that you discuss whether it is appropriate for you to either update your Will or make a new Will if you do not have one.

Your estate can be affected by inheritance tax. It may be possible to incorporate some tax saving devices into your Will. If you die without a Will or any living family, your estate could go to the Crown.

Why choose Freeths?

  • We are ranked in the top tier by both the Legal 500 and Chambers for family law advice
  • Our nationally renowned lawyers can advise you on all aspects of making a Will and inheritance tax planning
  • We can help with lasting powers of attorney and situations involving the Court of Protection
  • You can trust our team to take a sensitive, empathetic approach to your personal situation
  • We offer fixed fee options depending on your circumstances, helping you to save money

Call our friendly, professional team to find out how we can help you with your Will.


You can decide who inherits your estate on your death. If you do not make a Will, then your property will be left to your closest relatives according to intestacy rules. If you are married or in a civil partnership and you are in the process of getting divorced or applying for dissolution, this means that your husband/wife/civil partner would be left your entire estate. If you are cohabiting then your partner will not be left your estate, under intestacy rules.


You can choose your executors. They are responsible for administering your estate in accordance with your wishes. If there is no Will, then executors will be appointed according to the intestacy rules and this will usually mean that your husband/wife/civil partner will be the person appointed.


If you have children, you can appoint guardians for them in your Will. These are the people who you would like to be responsible for taking care of your children, should both parents die before the children reach the age of 18. Note that godparents do not automatically become guardians on your death.

Key contacts

Lisa Mark-Bell
Director & Joint Head of Oxford Trusts, Estates and Tax Team

0186 578 1154

Alternatively complete the form below:

Contact Us


"Top class practice."

(The Legal 500, 2017)


"The quality of service that would be expected of a Magic circle firm."

(The Legal 500, 2017)


"I felt well advised throughout and was particularly impressed by her manner."

Client service

‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.

Our values


Talk to us

Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?

Contact: 03301 001 014

Choose an office:

Portfolio close
People CV Email

Remove All

Click here to email this list of people to a colleague.