"The Milton Keynes property litigation team has been described as 'Outstanding...in terms of both quality and expertise'."
(Chambers & Partners, 2015)
Adam is a senior associate who acts on a full range of contentious real estate matters on behalf of landlords and tenants alike in relation to all aspects of commercial property.
This includes managing landlord and tenant disputes, opposed and unopposed lease renewal proceedings, dilapidations claims, rights of way, party wall claims, right to light issues, rent reviews, disputed break notices, applications to assign/underlet, insolvencies, disclaimer, forfeiture and repossession, recovery of rent arrears and enforcement of restrictive covenants.
Adam is listed as a Recommended lawyer in the Legal 500 (2017 Edition).
Real Estate Litigation
- Acting for Milton Keynes Parks Trust in defeating a tenant’s break notice (worth circa £1.4 million in rent).
- Advising a FTSE 100 company in terminating a conditional sale agreement in respect of land contracted to be sold for £1 million where the vendor was in breach of its obligations. This involved the construction of the relevant sale agreement and the successful termination came down to one word.
- Obtaining an Order for summary judgment in the High Court in relation to original tenant liability (acting for an assignee of the reversion). This allowed the landlord company to preserve a significant rental stream for the remaining term of the lease following liquidation of the tenant.
- Securing possession of a pub in Mitcham and a judgment for damages following contested forfeiture proceedings in Central London County Court.
- Providing estate management advice to One Advanced in relation to its property portfolio, including issues relating to break options and dilapidations.
- Advising a number of owners of Asset of Community Value nominated / listed properties (mainly licensed premises) and successfully objecting to nominations and overturning listings on review.
Drinks, Hospitality & Leisure
As well as advising corporates (from FTSEs to SMEs), Adam has particular experience in advising in the drinks, hospitality and leisure sector. Over the past few years Adam has, in particular, advised pubcos, tenanted operators, hotels, restaurants and late night operators in connection with all aspects of contentious real estate matters.
In addition, Adam is advising a number of property owners (mainly of licensed premises) in the growing area of assets of community value. In this field, Adam has successfully defeated a large number of Asset of Community Value nominations and overturned several Asset of Community Value listings on review.
- Advising a tenant of a pub in Bermondsey in relation to a boundary dispute and in an arbitration under the Pubs Code following the tenant’s exercise of its Market Rent Only Option.
- Advising a FTSE 100 company in relation to issues arising from hotel developments and agreements for lease.
- Acting for a landlord of a pub in London in hostile lease renewal proceedings where development grounds are relied upon.
- Advising a charity owner of a pub (and other land) in Wimbledon in connection with the disclaimer of a headlease and an application by a sub-tenant for a vesting order.
- Advising Casual Dining Group on a multiplicity of estate management issues and disputes.
- Property Litigation Association
“Pragmatic, very commercial and gives good advice. He is clear on deadlines and very organised.”(Director, Global IT Services & Consulting Company)
“Advanced over the past 18 months has been working through a substantial national Property Strategy to either surrender, sublet or end leases. Adam has been the cornerstone in supporting and advising on our Property Strategy, ensuring we are, in property terms, risk-free…Adam has provided a top class service in making our strategy work; nothing is too much for Adam, his customer service and professionalism and understanding of our leases is excellent and very important to our business.”(Ken Rose, Head of Property & Facilities Management, One Advanced Limited)
“Adam was a pleasure to work with. He was dedicated, thorough and hard working…I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending him.”(Richard Bulmer, Group Legal Manager, Dawsongroup Plc)
“They are very easy to deal with and switched on. They understand the market and their clients.”( Chambers & Partners, 2016)
“The team is very commercial, up-front and approachable.”(Chambers & Partners, 2016)
“Adam Boyd is ‘meticulous, works well with clients and demonstrates a good understanding of specific business needs’.”(The Legal 500, 2017)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014