“James is the best banking lawyer I have ever come across, with capabilities and expertise unrivalled in his market.”
(Chambers & Partners, 2023)
James specialises in advising funders and borrowers on banking and debt restructuring transactions. He is regularly involved in complex structured finance and corporate lending transactions, including leveraged buy-outs and general commercial lending.
James acts for many of the major banks and financial institutions in the UK, private equity houses and corporate borrowers.
James is ranked as a Leading Individual (Chambers & Partners, 2024) and as a Recommended Lawyer and as a Leading Individual in the Legal 500 (2024 edition) in Banking and Finance.
Banking & Finance
- Advised Clydesdale Bank on the provision of acquisition finance and working capital facilities in support of the management buy-out of Vertik-Al and Ikon Aluminium.
- Advised private equity investor LDC and Away Resorts Limited on the refinance of the Away Resorts business by funds managed by Permira Debt Managers.
- Advised Cambridge & Counties Bank on its refinance of Hagley Road Properties Limited.
- Advised Frontier Development Capital on the provision of mezzanine financing to Badgemaster Group Limited.
- Advised Clydesdale Bank on its refinance of Penso Group.
- Advised SPI Energy on the refinance of its Cairnhill and Thompson solar projects with Santander Bank.
- Advised Finance Birmingham on the provision of mezzanine financing to Hills Numberplates Limited.
- Freeths advises LDC on investment into specialist production agency
- Silicon Valley Bank – Practical lessons to be taken forward
- Freeths advises LACE Partners on significant investment from Mobeus
- Freeths advises Blue-i Group on significant investment from BGF
- Freeths advise on the sale of leading provider of circular IT solutions to Canadian based company
- Freeths celebrate success at the Midlands Dealmakers Awards 2022
- Freeths advises Twenty20 Capital on the transfer of ownership of PMP Recruitment to Challenge-trg Group
- Freeths advises Innovative Safety Systems on significant private equity investment
- Freeths lawyers shortlisted for UK legal awards
- Freeths play part in former colliery site development
To contact James or for more information…
“Tom is a longtime player in the market.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“He’s very experienced and well respected.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“James Dyson is attentive and has a high level of attention to detail. What makes James stand out is his commercial understanding both of what the client wants to achieve but also what works for funders and how to get to a solution that works for all parties. James is always approachable, communicates in a no-nonsense way and focuses on pragmatic solution.”(The Legal 500, 2022)
“He is very commercial and easy to deal with, I can have honest and open conversations with him.”(Chambers & Partners, 2022)
“He is always accessible and always looks to provide a commercial solution to issues raised.”(Chambers & Partners, 2021)
“James Dyson is highly knowledgeable and able to explain complex legal jargon in layman’s terms. He is very commercially minded and can work to very tight deadlines even when unexpected issues arise.”(The Legal 500, 2020)
…”exceptional and highly regarded.”(The Legal 500, 2020)
“James Dyson is exceptional and highly regarded in the market; he is fair, commercial and technical at the same time, and provides the highest level of service.”(The Legal 500, 2020)
“…always contactable and gives clear and concise advice.”(The Legal 500, 2019)
James Dyson assists clients with a range of banking matters including structured finance and LBOs. He has additional expertise in asset-based lending. Clients say: “He is incredibly commercial,” adding that “he has his finger on the pulse of the market.”(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014