"[James] delivers a high-quality service across a wide range of market sectors."
(The Legal 500, 2016)
James has over fifteen years experience of advising on a number of complex and innovative infrastructure and project finance transactions. These include a number of PFIs, PPPs, joint ventures, outsourcing and M&A deals, both within the UK and overseas.
James has advised local government, private equity funds, sponsors, senior lenders, construction contractors and service providers on transactions across a diverse range of sectors. These include accommodation, custodial, education, energy, healthcare, roads, rail, waste and waste water. James has particular experience in the health and education sectors and in secondary market PPP transactions.
James is recognised as an “Elite Leading Lawyer” in Project Finance & PFI by The Legal 500.
Banking & Finance
James has extensive experience of advising key project participants in relation to a number of primary and secondary market PFI/PPP and project finance transactions, both within the UK and overseas. James also has notable experience in healthcare having advised on a number of significant transactions encompassing infrastructure development, PFI/PPP, medical equipment, social care, joint ventures and M&A transactions.
- Leading the team advising Equitix on the £170 million+ refinancing of the Hampshire PFI street lighting project.
- Advising Building Schools for the Future Investments LLP on the consolidation of its BSF portfolio through a series of secondary market acquisitions and equity restructurings.
- Advising Dalmore Capital on the acquisition and restructuring of equity and subordinated debt in a number of BSF projects.
- Advising on the restructuring of a number of Local Education Partnerships prior to their being put into ‘hibernation’.
- Advising Amber Infrastructure in relation to INPP’s investment in the £4.2 billion Thames Tideway mega project; perhaps the largest and most complex PPP project to close in 2015.
- Advising Tarmac as O&M Contractor in relation to the £600 million Mersey Gateway Project. The project featured the first wrapped bonds under the UK Infrastructure Guarantee programme and an innovative financing structure including long term commercial banking financing, a construction working capital facility and long term mezzanine finance.
Energy & Natural Resources
James advises on greenfield and brownfield project development within the energy sector. He has particular experience of offshore transmission, energy from waste schemes and energy efficiency projects and smart meters.
- Advising TC Ormonde OFTO Limited on the restructuring of its senior debt facilities to allow for the receipt of Network Innovation Competition funding from Ofgem.
- Advising a leading meter asset provider on a project for financing the procurement of smart meters for a ‘big six’ energy company.
- Advising a leading infrastructure investor on the structuring of an innovative multi-site energy efficiency project for the installation of LED lighting.
- Advising RBS on secondment in relation to the Cory/Wheelabrator Norfolk B Waste PFI project for the development of a 286,000 tonnes per annum energy from waste facility.
- Advising the King’s Cross Development Partnership in relation to the development and financing of a CHP (Combined Heat & Power) facility to provide heating and hot water to the King’s Cross Central development.
- Advising Cornwall Council on the refinancing of its ‘path finder’ integrated waste management PFI scheme.
James has many years experience of advising on significant transactions within the healthcare sector both within the UK and overseas. His experience includes complex procurements and outsourcings (such as PFI/PPP, LIFT, IS-TC, decontamination services) joint ventures and M&A transactions.
- Advising Care UK on a £110 million+ contract for the outsourcing of clinical services by Somerset CCG, via an innovative joint venture with Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
- Advising a shortlisted bidder on its tender for the operation of George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust under an NHS ‘franchise’ arrangement.
- Advising investors in NHS PPP schemes on the implications of the Health and Social Care Act 2012 and NHS Trust administration.
- Advising on the terms of a 25 year contract for the provision of residential care services to Suffolk County Council.
- Advising sponsors and senior lenders in relation to a number of PFI/PPP schemes within the healthcare sector.
- Advising on a multi-billion US$ healthcare joint venture and outsourcing in Saudi Arabia.
“[James] delivers a high-quality service across a wide range of market sectors.”(Legal 500 2016)
“Freeths’ ‘first-class’ practice was boosted by the arrival of ‘well-kept secret’ James Larmour from Hogan Lovells.”(The Legal 500, 2014)
“[James] …is legally aware and commercially astute enough to know when things really matter. He is not one for wasting client’s time and money on points that are not commercially relevant, but he will ensure that you are aware of matters which he believes are relevant.”(Paul Andrews, Amber Infrastructure)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014