“Jessica Atkin has been my lead lawyer since the beginning and I cannot say enough good things about her. Her knowledge on the field of clinical negligence is outstanding. She is a great listener, but also ruthless when she needs to be and can cut through any of my waffle to filter out anything that is irrelevant to helping us move forward with the case."
(The Legal 500, 2024)
Jessica joined Freeths in 2014 and, following completion of her training, qualified into the Clinical Negligence team.
Jessica works on a wide range of matters and supports Partner Jane Williams in complex and maximum-severity claims. She has experience in dealing with complex maternity negligence, orthopaedic cases, birth injury matters and neurological claims.
Jessica is thorough and approachable. She seizes opportunities to work dynamically on matters and considers alternative ways to achieve the best outcome for her clients. She is always keen to reassure clients and put them at ease.
Jessica is listed as a Recommended Lawyer and recognised as a Rising Star in The Legal 500 (2024 edition) in Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence, and is ranked as an Associate-to-Watch in Chambers & Partners (2024 edition).
Acquired Brain Injury
Jessica has acted and continues to work on cases involving significant brain injuries which have arisen as a result of negligence.
- Jessica assisted Partner Jane Williams in achieving an out of court settlement of a case involving a claimant who suffered a hypoxic brain injury following a routine operation. The Claimant was left with a significant neurological injury when her symptoms were dismissed and the settlement (with a capitalised value of over £5 million) will go towards her care and rehabilitation moving forward.
Cerebral Palsy Claims Solicitors
Jessica has assisted with many high value settlements on birth injury claims, including those involving a diagnosis of cerebral palsy.
- Assisted Partner Jane Williams in achieving settlement of a claim relating to the mismanagement of the claimant’s birth, which sadly led to the claimant suffering cerebral palsy. The capitalised value of the settlement totalled around £10 million.
Nottingham Maternity Negligence
Jessica is currently acting on cases arising from the investigation into Nottingham maternity services.
- Achieved an out of court settlement of £80,000 for a woman who was negligently overdosed with anaesthetic during the birth of her child.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Jessica acted on the Maxillofacial Group Action bought against University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust. She continues to act on cases involving Oral and Maxillofacial surgery.
- Achieved an out of court settlement of £200,000, as part of the Leicester Maxillofacial Group Action, for a family of a much loved mother and grandmother who died in 2019. Before her death, the patient underwent surgery at the Leicester Oral and Maxillofacial Service. She was not counselled as to her options for reconstruction and was left shocked after surgery to find that bone had been taken from her hip and shoulder.
- Achieved an out of court settlement of £46,000 for a client who was left with a bony spur following a genioplasty operation to improve the asymmetry of her face.
Delay in Cancer Diagnosis
- Achieved an out of court settlement of £380,000 for a woman whose cervical smear was misreported and who had to undergo a radical hysterectomy as a result of her subsequent cancer diagnosis.
- Nottingham Maternity Review now gathering pace as Rishi Sunak addresses parliament
- Appeal to Come Forward – Nottingham Maternity Review
- Ockenden Maternity Review – Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Nottingham University Hospitals Maternity Review – Publication of the terms of reference
- Government forced to provide report following “inadequate” maternity services
- Nottingham University Hospital’s maternity services rated as inadequate by the CQC
To contact Jessica or for more information…
“She has a very good mix of being a lawyer and being a human, whilst ensuring I’m aware of everything needed, and she keeps me on track.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“She’s incredible, and her attitude and professionalism is phenomenal.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“Jessica Atkin is very efficient and clear in her instruction.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“No question is too big or small for her.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“She calls and emails back in a timely fashion. No question is too big or small for her.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“Thanks again for your help and making something that’s not very nice as painless as possible.”
“I chose Jessica to act on my case over competitor firms. Jessica was reassuring and supportive throughout our claim; competent and friendly from start to finish. I have no hesitation in recommending her.”
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014