Partner & National Head of Corporate
"The 'fantastic' Karl Jansen is noted for his experience handling high-value transactions."
Karl Jansen has more than 25 years’ experience advising individual investors/shareholders, private companies, financial institutions and public companies on a wide range of corporate transactions. These have included mergers and acquisitions, disposals, private equity/investment transactions, MBOs and MBIs, transactional due diligence, and reorganisations and restructuring.
Karl has a particular focus on the UK mid market and his clients include Experian, Tarmac and Travis Perkins plc. He is recognised as a very good technical lawyer, and has an exceptional reputation among clients thanks to his “clarity of thought, straightforward advice and huge experience”.
Karl is listed as a Leading Individual Chambers (2020 edition).
Karl is recognised as a Leading Individual in the Hall of Fame for Corporate by the Legal 500 (2020 edition). The Hall of Fame highlights individuals who have received constant praise by their clients for continued excellence.
- Led a team of more than 60 lawyers which supported the in-house legal team at Lafarge Tarmac on the sale to CRH plc, one of the world’s largest building materials suppliers. This was as part of a €6.5 billion worldwide acquisition of assets being sold by Lafarge SA and Holcim Limited to facilitate their global merger.
- Advised LNT Group on the sale of 24 care homes previously run by LNT Group subsidiary Ideal Carehomes. This was to Anchor Trust, one of the country’s largest providers of housing and care to the elderly, in a deal worth more than £100 million. The LNT Group comprises five core businesses across industry sectors including healthcare, construction, automotive, chemicals and software.
- Advised Lafarge on the £272 million sale of a portfolio of their UK assets to Mittal Investments, the private investment vehicle of Lakshmi Mittal. This was a major step towards finalisation of the joint venture, under which Lafarge and Anglo American combined Tarmac’s and Lafarge’s UK businesses to create Lafarge Tarmac.
- Advised Experian, the world’s leading global information services company and a member of the FTSE 100, on numerous acquisitions and disposals including the acquisitions of HD Decisions Limited (the UK’s leading provider of pre-qualification solutions) and data management software company X88 Software Limited.
- Advised Travis Perkins plc, one of the largest suppliers to the UK’s building and construction industry with over 2,000 outlets and 28,000+ employees. This has involved numerous corporate transactions, including an investment in Staircraft (the market leading supplier of timber staircases to the UK’s major house builders) and the acquisition of TF Solutions (one of the UK’s leading air conditioning and refrigeration distributors).
- Advised Tarmac (the UK’s leading sustainable building materials and construction solutions business) on the acquisition of civil engineering contractor J.B. Riney & Co. Limited.
- Advised the shareholders of Omar Group Limited, Britain’s premier manufacturer of park homes and luxury lodges, on the significant investment by London-based private equity firm, Rutland Partners. This was to fund further expansion in the growing park home and lodge sector.
“We are extremely grateful for the consistently outstanding support given by Freeths to Tarmac. The team’s dedication and professionalism has enabled Tarmac to deliver numerous complex projects. Their fantastic enthusiasm, technical strength and team spirit create a highly effective working relationship with Tarmac, and Karl’s positive commitment and attitude make him the ideal client partner.”(Katie Smart, UK Head of Legal, Tarmac)
“Head of corporate Karl Jansen ‘is one of the best lawyers that you will find anywhere’ according to one source.”
“I have worked with Freeths for over 20 years, and when we decided to run a competitive process to attract new investment I had no hesitation in approaching Karl Jansen. Leanne Fryer and Mallory Green supported Karl on the transaction. They proved to be an outstanding team, always working in a timely and efficient manner. We benefitted from the full time and attention of Karl as Lead Partner and consequently, when it came to key negotiations, we won out on the critical points, going head to head with a high end City firm. The Freeths team even managed to make an exacting and detailed process fun!”(Dean Westmoreland of Omar Group Limited)
“Much of the praise must go to head of department Karl Jansen, who received his fair share of individual plaudits. He is described as ‘an extraordinarily intelligent guy – truly top-drawer’.”
National department head Karl Jansen regularly advises significant clients on the full range of corporate transactions. Clients praise his “very straightforward, commercial” approach.(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014