"Lisa Gilligan’s greatest strength, aside from her in-depth knowledge of the subject matter, is her passion and dedication to her work."
(The Legal 500, 2019)
Lisa is a highly experienced regulatory solicitor and advocate. She specialises in licensing and in broader complimentary regulatory areas including Health & Safety, Trading Standards and Food Safety/Labelling.
Lisa is an accomplished advocate, regularly appearing before a wide range of tribunals including Magistrates Courts and licensing committees nationwide.
She also acts for local authorities in relation to regulatory prosecutions, appearing at Magistrates Courts on their behalf. Acting for local authorities in this way to provide advocacy support allows Lisa unique and valuable experience of both sides of the enforcement fence.
Lisa is recognised as an “Elite Leading Lawyer” in Licensing by The Legal 500.
Lisa has over 17 years licensing experience and has worked for a wide range of clients including pubs, supermarkets, restaurants, nightclubs and off-licences. Lisa Gilligan leads the practice and advises on all aspects of licensing. Clients comment that she gives “clear and concise advice that is easy to understand” and is “creative in finding the best solution”.
- Lisa acts for a national supermarket chain in relation to all licensing matters, including premises licences, personal licences, DPS changes and age-restricted sales. The ambitious growth programme of the organisation requires a pro-active involvement from Lisa, to ensure the efficient running of the licensing administration.
- Acting as legal advisor regularly to Charnwood Borough Council, Derbyshire Dales District Council and Erewash Borough Council. By acting in this role, Lisa works as an additional advocacy support to the legal teams for licensing and trading standards prosecutions, as well committee hearings.
- Advising a Premises Licence Holder in relation to the loss of a premises licence for late night premises, following the dissolution of a company. Lisa’s swift advice and involvement to secure temporary event notices and liaison with responsible authorities ensured that a new licence was secured with only the statutory delay. The licence was also effectively re-instated without the imposition of further onerous conditions and replicated the licence which had been in place for over 20 years. Thus avoiding the opportunity for responsible authorities to seek a heavily conditioned new licence within a city centre location.
- Freeths act for Aldi in relation to all of their licensing applications.
- Lisa’s team are responsible for the administration of the licensing support including premises licences, personal licences, DPS changes, APLH training and underage restricted sales.
- Aldi have had a well documented successful expansion throughout the UK with an estate currently over 700 stores.
Regulatory, Trade & EU Law
Lisa has represented many companies in relation to trading standards investigations. Her impressive negotiation skills reap results to avoid formal enforcement action whenever possible.
- Such investigations include Weights and Measures: assisting a pub operator for alleged offences including liaison with the enforcing authority. Lisa lead liaison with the enforcement authority to ensure the matter was resolved without formal enforcement action being taken, despite the alleged breach of legislation.
- Acting on behalf of Derby City Council to prosecute a counterfeit computer game operation.
- Advising a company director in relation to an investigation launched by Norfolk County Council for alleged breaches of the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 linked to the sale of faulty “Smartboards”.
Corporate Defence & Regulatory
Lisa advises in relation to health and safety matters both defending and prosecuting alleged breaches of legislation.
- Lisa acted on behalf of Bassetlaw District Council in relation to the prosecution of a national retailer, following a fatality arising from a workplace transport accident. The authority had never investigated/prosecuted on such a large scale and Lisa represented the local authority throughout the whole process – including Coroner’s Inquest and Court appearances.
Lisa’s regulatory experience has lead to expertise within the food sector; advising on a variety of food labelling, health & safety and regulatory matters within the sector.
- Regularly advising foreign companies entering the UK market in relation to legislative compliance with UK legislation.
- Advising and representing a local authority in relation to a food safety prosecution arsing from over 20 breaches of food hygiene and safety legislation. Lisa’s involvement from the outset included the drafting of Information and Summons through to representation at Court to secure a conviction.
- Get food labelling right
- CPS off the mark after securing the first conviction for ‘failing to prevent bribery’
- The Chevron case and Enforcement Notices – A favourable outcome for corporate bodies?
- Food Update: New Sentencing Guideline for Health & Safety, Corporate Manslaughter and Food Safety & Hygiene Offences
- Safety first in the food sector
- A recipe for safety for food businesses
- Fees for Intervention – relief at last?
- The Policing & Crime Act 2017 – To bail or not to bail?
- Corporate Defence Update: February 2017
- Association of Multiple Licensed Retailers
“The ‘adept and experienced’ Lisa Gilligan gives ‘practical and insightful advice’ that ‘instils confidence in clients’; she continues to act as the sole licensing counsel nationwide for Aldi, managing supermarket premises licences for stores across the country.”(The Legal 500, 2017)
“Lisa Gilligan leads the practice and advises on all aspects of licensing. Clients comment that she gives ‘clear and concise advice that is easy to understand’ and is ‘creative in finding the best solution’.”
“Lisa Gilligan’s varied skill set encompasses the licensing of restaurants and stores, health and safety issues. She also has experience of handling regulatory prosecution work for local authorities.”
“…very personable, and well liked by clients.”
“Lisa is ‘praised by the market as an articulate and effective communicator with a firm grasp of licensing and regulatory law’ and ‘is very approachable and is well liked on all levels of the corporate ladder’.”
“Lisa Gilligan provides ‘helpful, accurate advice’, and ‘relates to concerns in a constructive manner’.”
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014