Partner & Head of Nottingham Court of Protection
"Natasha Molloy heads the service and provides stability and expertise in supporting her colleagues. She has a straightforward approach and is clear and articulate when querying issues or when taking decisions."
(The Legal 500, 2024)
Natasha is a highly experienced professional deputy who has acted for hundreds of clients who lack capacity to manage their own property and affairs since 2006. She deals with all types of cases but primarily specialises in acquired brain injury, representing both adults and children who lack capacity as a result of personal injury or clinical negligence. Her clients also include those with mental health issues, learning difficulties and birth injuries; such as cerebral palsy.
Natasha heads up the Nottingham Court of Protection team, having previously set up and developed a very successful team at a well known specialist personal injury firm in central Manchester. She regularly manages the property and affairs of clients who have received multi million pound compensation settlements.
Natasha was one of the parties in the landmark case of Re PLK, Thakur, Chapman & Tate  EWHC B28 (costs) which allowed for an uplift to be applied to the Guideline Hourly Rates applied to Court of Protection Solicitors costs.
Natasha is recognised as a Leading Individual in Chambers & Partners (2024 edition). She is also ranked as a Recommended Lawyer and Next Generation Partner in The Legal 500 (2024 edition) for Court of Protection.
Court of Protection & Deputyships
Litigation Support Services
As a specialist in her field, Natasha is frequently asked to provide litigation support services to other lawyers by preparing expert statements on the cost of Court of Protection deputyships.
Lay Deputy Support
Natasha often advises lay deputies on their duties and assists them with the drafting of applications to the Court of Protection. These can include Statutory Will applications, Gift Applications and Family Care Payment Applications.
Many of the clients that Natasha represents are unable to make their own will. This means that a complex application to the Court of Protection is required, which asks the Court to make a statutory will on their behalf.
The case of Re HC  now requires that lay deputies apply to the Court of Protection to authorise gratuitous care payments (also known as family care payments) to them as carers for their family member.
- Managing a £4 million settlement for a young man with learning difficulties, who subsequently suffered from a brain injury from a road traffic accident as a child resulting in significant cognitive impairment. The client is extremely vulnerable and his funds are used to provide a team of support to give him the best life possible.
- Acting for a 40 year old man who was injured at birth resulting in quadriplegic cerebral palsy, resulting in a £3.5 million lump sum plus settlement plus £206,000 annual periodical payments. Natasha has arranged for the purchase and adaptation of his own home to accommodate live in carers and specialist therapies and equipment.
- Natasha has prepared statements setting out the future costs of having a Court of Protection deputy, so that these costs can be claimed in personal injury and clinical negligence claims for the injured party. She has been required to give evidence at court in support of these statements.
- Natasha is regularly instructed to make family care payment applications on behalf of lay deputies and has made several successful applications for these payments. These have included authority to pay the parents of a child over £90,000 per annum for the care they provide for their significantly disabled child.
- Gift applications made by Natasha have included requests of cash payments or cars to be gifted to family members and a £15,000 charity gift to be made in accordance with a client’s religious beliefs.
To contact Natasha or for more information…
“Natasha Molloy is fantastic.”(Chambers & Partners, 2024)
“She has the best interests of the client at the heart of all of her decisions.”(Chambers & Partners, 2023)
“Natasha has considerable investment knowledge and excellent client skills.”(Chambers & Partners, 2023)
“Natasha Molloy is vastly experienced, dedicated and knowledgeable. She ensures that the team adopts the highest standards for client service and fully understands the responsibilities that they have with regard to the investment of claimant settlements. A thoroughly professional team who prioritise their clients’ needs. Natasha is able to manage client expectations whilst ensuring that the right financial strategies are implemented. Dealing with clients who lack capacity can be challenging but she manages the balance between client’s demands and financial responsibilities. She has implemented these high standards across her department”.(The Legal 500, 2022)
“Extremely client centred and personable. Good communication and quick to respond to emails and messages. Natasha Molloy puts the client first and works really well with all the team.”(The Legal 500, 2022)
“Exceptionally experienced and dedicated staff with a vast array of service areas to call on when needed. Relatively young team and dynamic and ambitious. Natasha Molloy – Excellent presenter on her areas of experience. Manner with clients is exceptional. Dedication to always doing the right thing and such a caring and professional attitude to her clients.”(The Legal 500, 2022)
“I instruct Natasha Molloy and her team. They took over a complicated COP matter with the minimum of fuss. They gained the confidence of the client in no time and have been thoughtful and extremely reliable ever since. Natasha – A very cool head who is able to strategically plan matters whilst dealing with individuals in sometimes trying circumstances. Arranged a large scale adaptation with skill and care.”(The Legal 500, 2022)
“Natasha Molloy is great. She’s very practical and personable, and gets on well with her clients.”(Chambers & Partners, 2022)
“Natasha Molloy has ensured that all team members follow her principles of being dedicated to offering advice and service of the highest quality. Natasha is the consummate professional and this is being reflected in the team.”(The Legal 500, 2021)
“Natasha Molloy is a first-class COP practitioner who leads from the front and sets the example which her team duly follow to ensure a first class-service is delivered to clients and professional contacts.”(The Legal 500, 2021)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014