"Nigel Roots is 'technically experienced, professional and competent. I would recommend Nigel, he was perfectly good at explaining the law, he was really on top of the details,' comments another interviewee, with another adding Roots is 'well respected' throughout the private client field."
(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
Nigel is head of private client at Freeths. He is a trustee of many trusts both private and charitable.
Nigel advises a broad range of domestic and international clients (individuals, institutions and landed estates) on tax and trust planning, trust management and modification both onshore and offshore, complex estate administrations, literary estates, heritage property, charity issues and court of protection issues.
Nigel acts as a Court appointed independent administrator and Judicial Trustee in disputed trust and probate matters. He also lectures widely on tax and trust matters.
He is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, Land Trusts Association, Private Client Section of the Law Society, Institute of Legacy Management and Charity Law Association.
Nigel is recognised as an “Elite Leading Lawyer” in Charities & Not-for-profit by The Legal 500.
- Advising families on the management and structure of their financial assets, particularly in the context of complex business asset structures and complex family dynamics.
- Assisting clients with estate planning, very often in an international context.
- Supporting inter-generational family trusts, acting as a trustee and also advising trustees of their responsibilities.
- Acting as a court-appointed independent administrator/judicial trustee in complex contested estate administrations.
- Advising authors, artists and scientists in the management of their intellectual property estates.
- Acting as an attorney or a court-appointed deputy for people who lack the capacity to administer their own affairs.
To contact Nigel or for more information…
- Institute of Legacy Management & Charity Law Association
- Land Trusts Association
- Law Society
- Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners
“He’s an excellent private client practitioner – he’s clear, calm and has got great knowledge.”
“He’s very approachable and practical, and explains things well.”
“Nigel Roots heads the Private Client team and advises on a full range of private client matters, often with cross-border elements. His expertise lies in complex trusts, where he is known for acting as an independent trustee in disputed estates.”
“Department head Nigel Roots is described by peers as ‘charming and delightful to deal with’. He has a broad range of expertise in private client work and is able to advise clients on the gamut of issues.”
“Nigel Roots maintains a varied private client practice and commands respect from both clients and competitors. He routinely advises business owners, substantial landed estates and literary estates. Sources assert that ‘he gives sound and commercial advice’.”
“National private client practice head Nigel Roots has ‘phenomenal trusts expertise’ and is ‘very good at explaining complex points clearly’.”
“National head of private client Nigel Roots is an expert in trusts, tax and charities, including contentious trusts matters.”
“An insightful and clear thinker.”
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014