Commercial Partner & Head of Freeths' Virtual Legal Team
“We have been working with Rebecca and her team on various projects which either required immediate action or had very tight timeframes and none of them were straightforward. One thing was consistent in all cases, Rebecca, and her team were knowledgeable, accurate in their approach, business oriented, ready to exchange views and to guide and support us to reach our goal. I cannot recommend Rebecca strongly enough.”
(George B. Tenediotis, General Counsel, Korres)
Rebecca is an experienced commercial lawyer. She has many years of experience advising on a wide range of commercial matters, including manufacturing, distribution, agency, licensing, franchise, supply and outsourcing agreements, terms and conditions of sale and supply, website policies and various media agreements. Rebecca is a specialist in supply chain management and the commercialisation of intellectual property, in which fields she has advised a number of well-known brands.
Rebecca delivers this expertise through Freeths’ Virtual Legal Team which she heads and under which Freeths provide an outsourced internal legal team working in place of, or alongside in-house legal teams and general counsels, providing an experienced team delivering targeted solutions.
Rebecca has supported a wide variety of blue chip national and international clients on commercial transactions – ranging from technology start-ups and farming enterprises to global cosmetics brands, multinational supermarkets and quoted construction and industrial groups. Rebecca has experience leading complex projects and building brand strategies for clients, both nationally and internationally.
Rebecca has significant experience in the Beauty and Personal Care industry and heads Freeths’ specialist Beauty and Personal Care offering, advising on commercial agreements, branding and growth strategies.
The Legal 500 (2023 edition) listed Rebecca as a Recommended Lawyer.
Rebecca has led the development and implementation of our “Virtual Legal Team” delivery service models for clients experiencing a high demand for commercial contracts support. Rebecca currently acts as “Virtual General Counsel” for a number of the firm’s clients, providing strategic advice to help identify current and future risks, and leads a team of commercial lawyers who act as an extension of the client’s in-house team under our Virtual Legal Team solution, advising on a range of business-critical contracts as well as developing supply chain documents and processes for the client.
Under the Virtual Legal Team arrangements, Rebecca and her team have drafted, reviewed, and negotiated various agreements on behalf of her clients, including key strategic arrangements with multi-million-pound values, whilst building strong rapport with the in-house teams that have been supported. Rebecca has also extensively advised on risk management issues in relation to major contracts where she acts as an integral part of the client team in an advisory capacity.
Intellectual Property & Media
Advising clients in relation to the exploitation, use, protection, development and commercialisation of trademarks, patents, copyright, design rights, and other intellectual property rights.
Rebecca does this through registration, licensing, technology collaboration, joint venture deals and advising on intellectual property matters in business sales and acquisitions. She also assists clients with building national and international intellectual property strategies.
- Working with a defence company in relation to development and subsequent supply of a tailored product to a prime contractor in the defence sector. This involved insuring that the background intellectual property rights of the client remained at all times with the client and did not pass to the prime. Rebecca negotiated the position in relation to the intellectual property rights in the developed product and the royalties to be paid.
- Working with a pharmaceutical company in relation to distribution of a product internationally. The client had assigned rights in relation to its core intellectual property that prevented its own distribution in certain markets. Terminating agreement with the distributor and negotiating the assignment back to the pharmaceutical client.
- Advising a manufacturer and service provider of fire safety equipment. This was in relation to core intellectual property rights, rights in developed materials, negotiating intellectual property assignments and drafting development and manufacturing agreements.
- Advising an award-winning London brewery in relation to its plans for global expansion. Rebecca assisted with the identification of key markets to target and the approach to be made in each individual market. She ensured that core intellectual property rights remained protected, providing portfolio management services and assisting with supply agreements with major supermarket retailers.
- Acting for a French multi-national defence and security company in relation to its contractual requirements in England.
- Advising a global luxury skincare client on key intellectual property contracts. This involved negotiating the assignment of fundamental intellectual property rights which had been created by a consultant, in order to ensure a sale of the company was able to take place, and drafting celebrity endorsement.
- Acting for an award-winning London brewery in relation to intellectual property, distribution and supply agreements. This included foreign trade mark registrations, logistics agreements and advising on distribution agreements with supermarkets and agents.
- Representing a client in relation to a documentary for Film 4 and negotiating heads of terms for the filming and production of the documentary.
- Drafting agreements for a publishing house in relation to biographies and other works, together with distribution agreements relating to the exploitation of those works.
- Drafting terms and conditions for an annual conference for a professional body with attendance from in excess of 7,000 delegates annually. The 2018 conference will be the largest conference in Europe in the sector.
- Acting for an innovative and rapidly expanding manufacturing company, in relation to protection of patents and other intellectual property rights and licensing these, together with granting worldwide distribution rights.
- Assisting a growing medical company with a review of all its contracts with third parties and its intellectual property rights in order to prepare the company for a future sale. Perfecting the title of all intellectual property rights and renegotiating unfavourable terms in contracts to drive up the value of the business.
Beauty and Personal Care
Rebecca also has significant experience advising clients in the beauty and cosmetics sector and heads up Freeths’ specialist Beauty and Personal Care team. She has supported global cosmetics brands in establishing their products, building routes to market, assisting with the supply chain infrastructure, advising on retail and wholesale trading documents, drafting influencer agreements and supporting other key partnerships.
- In-House Lawyers Programme: Oxford Case Law Session
- Protect your cosmetic business: top tips for safeguarding your crown jewels
- Ukrainian Crisis – Sanctions
- Ukrainian Crisis – Impact on the Supply Chain
- Supply Chain Disruption
- Working with Influencers – the good, the bad and the necessary
- How to Manage the Impact on your Business in a COVID-19 World
- Future Proofing Your Contracts
- Coronavirus Hub Webinar Series – Contract Reviews and Supply Chain Issues
- Contracting with public bodies during Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Tips for managing contracts now and avoiding future disputes
- Coronavirus: FAQs on Business Closures
- Coronavirus: Commercial Contracts & Supply Chain FAQs
- Coronavirus – Is your supply chain affected?
- Freeths’ Networking Events For Women with Guest Speaker – Lindsay Willott
- Freeths Oxford expands commercial team
To contact Rebecca or for more information…
“We couldn’t have done without Rebecca. Not only was she experienced and knowledgeable but she was also very helpful too and really eased the process for us. We found her help invaluable.”(Cindy Griffiths, Director, VAWZ UK)
“Your help and support are much appreciated as always.”(Chris Rawsthorne, Time Products Limited)
“The way Freeths work together makes it feel like a single office team in a virtual world.”(Russell Deards, City Plumbing )
“Rebecca is awesome!”(Madeline Booth, Scrubee, Sustainable Skincare)
“Rebecca Howlett manages the team very well. She is incredibly responsive and dedicated. Offers assistance and makes suggestions for change. Feels like an extension of the in-house function.”(Legal 500, 2024)
“The people are what makes this practice unique. Always taking the time to get to know you and so that they can always advise in the right way.”(Legal 500, 2024)
“Rebecca Howlett is an absolute diamond. She always the taking time to listen to the bigger picture, not just the area you need advice with. Always follows up just the right amount so always a pleasure to hear from her.”(Legal 500, 2024)
“Rebecca Howlett was incredibly supportive, knowledgeable and engaging. Rebecca was patient in her explanations and detailed when required, whilst ensuring our goals were met in a timely fashion.”(Legal 500, 2024)
“The team’s sincerity, integrity and pride in their job are self-evident. And the dedication towards their clients and to their profession is second to none. Furthermore, the attention to detail – so vital in the work of a solicitor, not least of all in the corporate setting – is always very clear throughout any process.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Rebecca Howlett is a pleasure to deal with, making sure reviews are carried out efficiently and within agreed timescales. Reports are tailored to our needs and additional support given when needed.”(The Legal 500, 2023)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014