‘…Stephen Evans [is] accomplished, experienced, communicative and easy to deal with. Safe advice given and successful outcomes achieved with [his] assistance and guidance on a number of issues.’
(Legal 500, 2022)
Stephen is a Managing Associate in the construction and engineering team. Stephen specialises in dispute resolution, management and avoidance, alongside transactional and procurement matters. Stephen has represented clients in all forms of dispute resolution, including in the Technology and Construction Court, adjudication and mediation. Stephen has experience in advising national and international clients in the infrastructure, energy and power, process plant and building sectors.
In 2017, Stephen obtained an MSc in Construction Law and Dispute Resolution from King’s College London, and in 2018 obtained a distinction in the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators’ Arbitral Award Writing Examination.
Stephen is a native French speaker and has completed both private practice and client secondments in Paris, and at a Premier League football club. Stephen spent over 10 years at a global law firm before joining Freeths in late 2021.
Stephen is ranked in Legal 500 (2022 edition) for Construction as a Key Lawyer.
Construction & Engineering
- acting for a local authority in respect of a c.£7m multi-party defects claim in the Technology and Construction Court, concerning the design and build of a tram depot;
- acting for a London headquartered investment fund in adjudication proceedings in respect of a c.£4m delay claim against a main Contractor;
- acting for a hotel operator in commencing Technology and Construction Court multi-party proceedings in respect of a post-Grenfell cladding claim;
- acting for a specialist mechanical and electrical sub-contractor in relation to a c.£1m final account adjudication brought by its main contractor;
- acting for a local authority in multiple adjudications as Responding Party against a main Contractor, in respect of programming issues on a renovation project at one of Europe’s largest entertainment complexes;
- acting for a local authority in relation to a dispute against a Contractor regarding a design and build contract for a large-scale light rail infrastructure project, including acting as both referring and responding party in several adjudications;
- advising a specialist concrete Sub-Contractor in relation to a NEC4 sub-contract for works on a Ministry of Defence site;
- advising a pharmaceutical manufacturer in respect of a NEC4 (Option E) Engineering and Construction Contract for the redevelopment of a manufacturing facility;
- advising an international façade Sub-Contractor in respect of pre-action issues of downstream project supply, labour and resource shortages experienced after the COVID-19 global pandemic.
Infrastructure & Project Finance
- advising a local authority pension fund on the construction aspect of a c.£23 million warehouse acquisition in Hampshire;
- advising a UK based developer in respect of a main works contract and suite of consultant appointments for a c.£89m mixed use scheme in greater London, part of one of the largest urban regeneration projects in Europe;
- advising a hotel operator in relation to a due diligence exercise regarding an extensive suite of construction contracts associated with a c.£91m share acquisition of a major hotel in London; and
- advising a multi-national company in respect of contract procurement and issues relating to the c.£10m upgrade to its main manufacturing site in the UK.
Clean Energy, Waste & Sustainability
- advising a property investment and asset management group on the c.£2 million acquisition of project rights to develop a 100MW battery storage project in Yorkshire;
- advising a power and waste treatment centre Employer in relation to a main Contractor’s potential claim for a significant level of liquidated damages;
- advising a global on-shore deep drilling company in relation to a c.£2m construction contract for a geoscientific core sampling drilling project in the UK; and
- advising an international EPC Contractor in respect of a major UK to Belgium interconnector project.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014