"Succinct, knowledgeable and pragmatic. He has adds value and helped us better develop our business."
(Jonathan Burrows, Managing Director, ASK4 Ltd)
Tom has detailed and in depth experience of all areas of employment law from corporate TUPE support to discrimination, whistleblowing and redundancy. He specialises in executive severance work and Employment Tribunal litigation, he conducts his own advocacy appearing in person at Tribunals throughout the country.
Tom provides responsive and commercially focused employment law advice and HR support in a pragmatic and straight forward way. Tom adds value to his clients’ organisations by developing and leading tailored training sessions and seminars on a variety of topical employment law issues.
As a result of his expertise in discrimination law Tom is regularly chosen to sit on disciplinary panels by the Sheffield & Hallamshire Football Association. Tom was listed in the 2017 edition of the Legal 500 as a next generation employment lawyer for the Yorkshire and Humber region.
Tom has worked exclusively in Employment law and HR support since he qualified as a solicitor in 2008. Tom completed the Common Professional Examination in law and the Legal Practice Course at Northumbria University after gaining a BA Honours degree in History and Politics from the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- Defending a claim for unfair dismissal on behalf of a national facilities management company. The claim involved allegations of unfair dismissal following pressure placed on the client by a third party not to employ the Claimant. In order to successfully defend the claim Tom provided bespoke advice on the practical application of the law on unfair dismissal for Some Other Substantial Reason. Tom appeared in person at a two day Employment Tribunal hearing and by deploying complex legal arguments he persuaded the Judge to reject the unfair dismissal claim and find that the dismissal had been fair due to third party pressure.
- Representing a travel company against an Employment Tribunal claim for unfair dismissal resulting from a TUPE transfer. Tom provided technical advice on the application of TUPE and used his skill and experience as a Tribunal advocate to defend this complicated claim involving multiple Respondents. Tom conducted his own advocacy on behalf of the seller of the business and following his closing submissions the Judge confirmed that he had “little hesitation” in concluding that TUPE applied to the sale, meaning that his client successfully avoided liability for the claim.
- Advising an employer on the exit of their CEO. Tom attended a Board meeting in order to advise the client in person on the variety of legal options open to them. Tom needed to be responsive to the needs of the client, who required immediate assistance on what had the potential to be an acrimonious and destabilising situation. He advised on the potential financial liability and made a strategic analysis of the situation in order to conduct successful severance negotiations. He was able to reduce the expectations of the departing CEO significantly and minimise the financial and reputational risk to the client by ensuring a prompt resolution of the matter.
- Annual HR and Employment Law Update – Sheffield – 5 December
- Race Discrimination – Unconscious Bias & Shifting The Burden Of Proof
- Introduction to Employment Law – Employment Law Training Course – Sheffield – 26 September
- Employment Seminar: Annual HR and Employment Law Update – Sheffield – 28th February
- Employment Seminar: Performance Management – Sheffield – 19th March
- Employment Seminar: Performance Management – Leeds – 27th February
- Is the Good Work Plan good news for agency and zero-hour workers?
- Disability Discrimination is Never Black and White
- Does TUPE Set Employees’ Terms and Conditions in Stone?
- Can Workers on Zero Hour Contracts be Considered Agency Workers?
- Sexual Harassment in the Workplace – What Should Employers Do?
To contact Tom or for more information…
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Industrial Law Society
“Pragmatic, considered and wholly professional approach, based on fact and a solid foundation.”(Mike Myers, Operations Manager, Hydro-X Water Treatment)
“A consummate professional, and extremely thorough.”(Simon Harrod, Managing Director, Gemini Computer Systems)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014