Financial Services Sector
Financial services expertise
Our experts are experienced in advising lenders and credit brokers on all aspects of consumer finance, including:
- Advising on the regulatory perimeter;
- Securing FCA authorisation and varying permissions;
- Advising on ongoing compliance obligations, capital requirements, SMCR and the conduct rules, and the new consumer duty;
- Advising on the financial promotions regime;
- Drafting and reviewing consumer finance documentation;
- Providing specialist advice on technology-driven consumer finance and payment services businesses;
- Drafting appointed representative agreements;
- Resolving financial services disputes including complex and high-value consumer finance disputes, advising on FOS complaints and supporting clients through FCA investigations.
Why choose Freeths?
- Our consumer finance experts include lawyers recommended in the legal directories, reflecting the quality and breadth of expertise in the industry.
- We have particular expertise and experience in the automotive sector and advise a number of motor retailers on their F&I sales processes and act for retailers facing misselling claims. We are an Associate Member of the National Franchised Dealers Association.
- Our experts provide businesses with solutions to complex regulatory issues and they have considerable experience in handling regulatory investigations and ensuring compliance on behalf of organisations and individuals.
- Our lawyers will ensure that your agreements are compliant with all consumer finance legislation and, by carefully drafting your agreements, we will ensure that they are not only fair, clear and not misleading, but also practical and commercial, enabling you to be confident in relying on and enforcing your agreements.
- Our specialist fintech lawyers provide cutting edge advice on all aspects of a technology-driven consumer finance business utilising their experience in providing practical, commercial and tailored advice to start-ups, growth stage and established lenders.
Consumer Finance Lawyers
National Head of Team
0345 274 6909
0345 274 6909
0345 634 9782
0345 404 4147
0345 030 5656
FCA Announces New Gateway for Approving Financial PromotionsArticles 5th Oct 2023
The Edinburgh Reforms – consumer credit reformArticles 21st Dec 2022
Implementation of the Consumer Duty for Insurance IntermediariesArticles 24th Oct 2022
- Acting for a leading UK online provider of interest-free “buy now pay later” credit in relation to a £60,000,000 investment and funding round and providing ongoing regulatory advice.
- Advising a lending platform provider on acting as lender of record in relation to a loan book of regulated mortgage contracts with a total value of around £4billion.
- Advising lenders on its suite of consumer finance documentation.
- Acting for a Trustee in Bankruptcy and successfully obtaining a declaration that a charge secured on a bankrupt’s matrimonial home was unenforceable under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000.
- Advising credit brokers on their consumer documentation and sales processes.
- Advising on the Senior Managers and Certification Regime, Conduct Rules and regulatory references.
- Advising a mortgage broker on its agreements with key suppliers and structure of its business.
- Advising our national clients in the motor trade on ongoing regulatory compliance in relation to consumer finance activities.
- Advising a national building materials business on the structuring of agreements with contractors relating to the purchase of haulage vehicles and drafting the unregulated credit agreements to prevent the need for the lender to become authorised by the FCA.
- Acting for a regional fund lending to start-ups including completing a review of the fund’s pre-contract information, regulated credit agreements and post-contractual documents.
- Advising a mortgage broker on an FCA investigation.
- Acting for clients in relation to high value and complex lending disputes.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014