Getting ahead of the competition
Areas of Competition
What is involved?
Compliance with competition and antitrust law is vital for all businesses and should never be ignored.
Global and UK competition authorities and specialist industry regulators are wielding their growing investigatory powers. They scrutinise and challenge mergers and joint ventures, punish cartels and other anti-competitive arrangements, fine dominant companies for abusive conduct, and reform failing markets.
On top of that, EU laws on state aid, procurement, free movement, customs and trade continue to impose substantial regulatory burdens on global and UK businesses alike. This is in spite of the UK’s impending ‘Brexit’ and the additional legislative challenges departure from the EU inevitably brings.
It is crucial that your business and your staff fully understand and follow all applicable competition laws to avoid severe penalties, including huge fines and lengthy prison sentences.
Illegal anti-competitive behaviour may not be obvious to everyone. It can include amicably agreeing with competitors not to undercut each other’s product prices, making deals to share markets or customers, discussing your strategies and intentions, and sharing other sensitive information with each other.
Why choose Freeths?
- We have first-hand experience of working with the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA)
- As “business people first and lawyers second”, we will see problems from your point of view
- You can rely on our competition lawyers to be commercially-minded and easy to work with
- Our specialist team offers up-to-date advice on key legal principles, helping you avoid pitfalls
- We will constantly update you – in person, in writing, online and by email – on the latest commercial activity and legislative changes
We can help you minimise antitrust risk under EU, UK and other national competition laws, as well as steering you through any antitrust or market investigation you face. We can also help you successfully bring claims or defend disputes involving EU/UK competition law or other EU-based rules.
Led by Head of Competition, Andrew Maxwell, Freeths have a dedicated and expert Competition Team advising, representing and trusted by clients on all aspects of UK and EU competition law, antitrust and regulation.
We also have a wide variety of sector experts who can help you with Corporate Defence & Regulatory, Financial Services, Food, Healthcare, Hospitality & Leisure, Insurance, Pharmaceuticals or Retail concerns.
Call our Competition team now to find out how we can help you.
0845 030 5824
0845 030 5793
Partner & National Head of Dispute Resolution
0845 077 9581
0190 835 0200
0845 077 9646
Partner & Head of Competition
0845 128 6997
Managing Partner - Leicester
0845 272 5710
0845 274 6900
Competition Alert – 29 October 2018Articles 29th Oct 2018
Competition and Markets Authority launches market study in the audit sectorArticles 12th Oct 2018
Competition AlertArticles 21st Sep 2018
“We have always been extremely impressed with the service provided by James.”
"Freeths’ lawyers are acknowledged for their ‘excellent service and specialist expertise'."
“Simon is very responsive, personable and provides practical solutions tailored to our needs. He is a pleasure to work with.”
(Julia Runnacles, (then) Head of Legal, Hasbro Europe)
- Advising potential claimants in respect of claims for damages from the major truck manufacturers, arising out of The European Commission’s 2016 Judgment that MAN, Volvo/Renault, Daimler, Iveco, and DAF all broke EU antitrust rules, colluding for 14 years on both truck pricing and the passing on of the costs of compliance with stricter EU emission rules. This resulted in a record fine of €2,926.499,000.
- Representing clients throughout CMA (Competition and Markets Authority) investigations, including Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance plc in the Private Motor Insurance market investigation and market study.
- Advising a food sector client on an abuse of dominance claim under EU/UK competition law and a procurement challenge, involving complex cross-border competition and procurement issues.
- Advising the Legal Department of a London airport in respect of a whole host of valuable/important issues. These included contractual, competition and environmental queries, and disputes with its concessions, ground handlers and car park operators.
- Advising a UK company on substantial follow-on actions against Visa and MasterCard, relating to alleged anti-competitive conduct associated with credit/debit card multilateral interchange fees.
- Providing UK merger arbitrage advice to a recognised hedge fund on a CMA (Competition and Markets Authority) merger inquiry involving a large grocery retailer.
- Advising a UK company in respect of CMA investigations into alleged cartel activity in the galvanised steel tanks market.
- Advising a vertically integrated, global business on a leniency application, and on the application of EU and UK competition law to its dealings with competitors and retailers.
- Advising organisations on substantial follow-on damages actions against international truck manufacturers, arising out of EU infringement findings.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014