Keeping you open for business
What is involved?
We understand that licensing legislation can hinder your profitable business and pose many operational challenges. That’s where our legal services can help you navigate the relevant rules and regulations. Whether you’re a potential defendant or an enforcing authority, our expertise in regulatory law will help you to protect your reputation.
We can help you with a wide range of regulatory matters such as licence applications, licence review hearings, closure orders. Our solicitors regularly appear before Licensing Committees and Magistrates Courts nationwide. Or you may need advice with an investigation or prosecution regarding Trading Standards, Health & Safety, Noise Nuisance, Food Safety or Fire Safety which all affect licensed premises. Our specialist team has experience of both sides of enforcement – helping defendant companies and investigating authorities.
Why choose Freeths?
- We are accredited members of BIIAB and can provide you with approved licensing qualifications
- Our team of licensing solicitors are nationally recognised for their expertise in regulatory law
- We are ranked by Chambers as “Leaders in their Field” and are praised by the Legal 500 guide
- You can expect us to give you practical, accurate advice that is clear and easy to understand
- We are experienced in helping a variety of clients such as supermarkets, bars, restaurants councils and universities
Whatever the style of your operation, our expertise in a wide range of sectors gives us a firm grasp of regulatory knowledge. We can even represent you at PACE interviews and in Magistrates Courts appeals and hearings.
We also help with staff training, providing accredited BIIAB licensing training to help your business avoid any pitfalls. If you would like to work with us too, we look forward to speaking to you.
- Aldi Stores Limited
- Derby City Council
- Charnwood Borough Council
- Ed’s Easy Diner
- Aston University
- Butcombe Brewery
- Davys Wine Bars
- Nottingham Trent University
- Modern British Canteen
- Cheshire Cat Pubs and Bars
Freeths Oxford expands commercial teamNews 5th Oct 2017
NE’s adoption of 4 new EPS Licensing PoliciesArticles 13th Jan 2017
Employment Review: September 2015 – The Modern Slavery Act – Businesses required to make slavery and human trafficking statement every financial yearArticles 13th Oct 2015
"...Provides a full range of licensing support complemented by the firm's established health and safety and regulatory practice."
"They have always been very efficient, helpful and aware of our requirements."
"The team is very professional and quick to respond to client needs."
"Freeths is active on the regulatory side of food and retail law, advising clients on trading standards investigations. Lisa Gilligan provides ‘helpful, accurate advice', and ‘relates to concerns in a constructive manner'."
(Legal 500, 2016)
"The 'adept and experienced' Lisa Gilligan gives 'practical and insightful advice' that 'instils confidence in clients'; she continues to act as the sole licensing counsel nationwide for Aldi, managing supermarket premises licences for stores across the country."
(The Legal 500, 2017)
"Lisa Gilligan’s greatest strength, aside from her in-depth knowledge of the subject matter, is her passion and dedication to her work."
(The Legal 500, 2019)
"Noted for its ‘positive, knowledgeable and passionate approach’, the team at Freeths LLP is traditionally adept in alcohol licensing matters and is increasingly advising on health and safety, trading standards and fire safety matters. Lisa Gilligan, ‘an experienced expert in the field’, helms the practice and is engaged for personal licenses, premises licences and DPS applications. She represents a client base which includes various bars, pubs, supermarkets and leisure businesses."
(The Legal 500, 2020)
- Acting as legal advisor regularly to Charnwood Borough Council, Derbyshire Dales District Council and Erewash Borough Council. By acting in this role, Lisa works as an additional advocacy support to the legal teams for licensing and trading standards prosecutions, as well committee hearings.
- Lisa acts for a national supermarket chain in relation to all licensing matters, including premises licences, personal licences, DPS changes and age-restricted sales. The ambitious growth programme of the organisation requires a pro-active involvement from Lisa, to ensure the efficient running of the licensing administration.
- Over 17 years licensing experience and has worked for a wide range of clients including pubs, supermarkets, restaurants, nightclubs and off-licences.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014