Common sense advice for the future
What is involved?
Ever-changing regulations to pensions mean you must react quickly to keep your offerings in line with the law. Our national team of lawyers offer practical, clear and cost-efficient advice with a commercial focus. Whether you are looking for answers, or need help with contentious or non-contentious matters, we have in-depth experience of dealing with all aspects of pensions law. We’ll help point you in the right direction.
We understand that everyone’s pension requirements are different – in fact, we’re specialists in the field. Our work has involved DC Schemes, DB Schemes, Governance, Investments, Corporate Transactions, Disputes, Pension Documentation, Master Trusts, Scheme Funding, Scheme Mergers or PPF Levy Appeals.
Why choose Freeths?
- We assess your unique pension circumstances without charge, which will save you time and money
- You can rely on over 50 years of technical experience and a pragmatic, solution-driven approach
- We’ll always try to reduce your costs by checking to see if you have adequate in-house knowledge
- You’ll receive a tailored result, achieved by our experience with an industry-wide client base
- We deal with both the private and public sector, including national and international employers
Our capable pensions team has the confidence to meet your requirements and the experience to find you the best value strategy. We are recommended in the Legal 500, The Client’s Guide to the UK Legal Profession.
We work with a wide variety of clients – including trustees, owner managers, charities, universities and workplace pension providers. Give us a call and we’ll help you find the best pensions lawyer for your situation.
Picnic TrainingEvents 6th Mar 2019
Lost Your Lifetime Allowance Protection? You may be able to get it backArticles 22nd Feb 2019
Auto Enrolment Pensions Update: Spring Cleaning Before Spring?Articles 14th Jan 2019
"Parminder Latimer has been providing legal advice to the Ultra Electronics Pension Scheme since 2009. During that time she has given valuable input on a number of issues including on Closure of the DB Scheme, Contingent Assets, Investment Management Agreements, Conflicts of Interest, Definition of Scheme Employers, and Custody Agreements. Her advice has always been relevant, timely and appropriate, and delivered in a manner easily understandable to the lay trustee. She is regarded by the Trustee Board as an important member of the Trustee's group of professional advisers."
(David Garbett-Edwards – Former Chairman of Ultra Electronics Pension Trustee Company Limited, for the Ultra Electronics Pension Scheme)
"I thought the Pensions team at Freeths dealt with everything very professionally and in good time throughout. I really enjoyed working with the team."
(HR Director of a large military charity)
"Parminder provided me with helpful, prompt and clear advice on a sensitive matter at very short notice. I was delighted with her input which helped me enormously. She engaged rapidly and well with other advisers and delivered what she said she would, when she said she would."
"Freeths provide an excellent, pragmatic and practical pension legal service to middle-market businesses at a very competitive price."
(The Legal 500, 2020)
- Successfully acting for an employer in defending a pensions litigation matter concerning the operation of the Section 75 debt regime following a second stage outsourcing.
- A particularly significant deal/case recently advising a corporate client, which is part of a larger group of companies in the aviation sector. Initially on an auction process for the acquisition of the entire share capital and business assets of a ground handling company from two major global airlines acting under a JV which was a £14 million deal.
- We were involved in a firm-wide team effort on due diligence to identify any potential deal breakers. The JV operated two schemes with defined benefit liabilities and a legacy DB deficit. Following a successful bidding process we had only four weeks to negotiate a flexible apportionment arrangement before Christmas, agreeing the document with the vendors and trustees of the Pension Scheme. We reached a successful outcome for our client who did not take on any of the DB liabilities and was able to acquire the Target to further its business expansion to operate not only out of London City airport but also London Heathrow.
- Reviewing and advising investment management clients in relation to funds they offer their trustee clients.
- Advising employers and trustee clients on de-risking strategies for closed defined benefit schemes. Particularly Pension Increase Exchange exercises, project managing and working with our commercial colleagues on data sharing agreements to ensure our client’s compliance with data protection legislation.
- Corporate support involving defined benefit liabilities and negotiating on apportionment arrangements, carving out DB liabilities, negotiating with Trustees on a large scale M & A transaction.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014