What sports law do we do?
We advise clients across the business of sport covering take overs and acquisitions of sports clubs, commercial, advisory, regulatory, anti-doping, criminal & disciplinary, financing, contentious and non-contentious issues within the sports sector.
The Sports team currently advise across a wide range of sports including football, basketball, boxing, racing and martial arts. The team’s client base includes a number of football clubs across all leagues, as well as players, boxers, athletes, trainers, managers, coaches, promoters and clubs, helping them to deliver reliable, flexible and pragmatic solution-based commercial advice which is tailored to you and your sport.
We are able to draw upon expertise in this specialist sector plus enhance our advice with assistance from across our UK Top 50 firm, in specialist areas such as: intellectual property, real estate, family wealth, corporate and employment with a specific focus on the requirements of your specific sport.
If you are interested in having a discussion with our Sports team, please do get in contact. We would be delighted to help you.
Notable clients that we are able to confirm are:
- Amir Khan
- Josh Warrington
- A number of Championship football clubs
- A number of EFL League 1 and League 2 football clubs
- A number of National League football clubs
This list is not exhaustive but there is a limit to which clients we can divulge that we act for due to client confidentiality.
- Advising Richard Reilly, the ultimate beneficial owner of QPR Newco LLC, on the purchase of a stake in QPR Holdings Limited (the owner of QPR FC & Athletic Club Limited).
- Advising British boxing legend Amir Khan in his well anticipated bout against Kell Brook.
- Acting for a boxer in a contractual dispute with his promoter as to whether he was obliged: (1) to be exclusively promoted by the promoter and (2) enter into a re-match with his previous opponent. The dispute was worth in excess of £1 million.
- Advising the administrators of Derby County Football Club in respect to the club’s appeal of the 12-point deduction for entering into administration. This dispute was worth in excess of £2 million.
- Acting for a racing team in a dispute against Aston Martin, with a value in excess of £500,000.
- Advising a football club in respect to a dispute with a former manager of the club, who sought payment of his notice period. The club advanced a counter-claim relating to the manager’s fiduciary duties to the club when signing players. The dispute was worth in the region of £150,000.
- Advising a martial arts coach in relation to disciplinary proceedings brought against them.
- Acting for a football club in relation to a new kit deal with a large global brand
Why Choose Freeths?
- A dedicated team with genuine in-depth knowledge and experience of the sports sector.
- Members of our team are recommended in the Legal 500 (an independent guide to the legal profession), so you can trust our knowledge and expertise.
- A team of down to earth, approachable and personable people offering practical advice tailored to gain the best outcome for you.
Sports Law Lawyers
Freeths advises boxer Josh Warrington on upcoming World Title boutNews 1st Aug 2023
Why new VISA laws are good for English footballArticles 20th Jun 2023
Freeths advises boxer Joe Fournier on successful appeal following his controversial loss to YouTuber KSINews 19th May 2023
"‘Specialty-focused and extremely knowledgeable in this space."
(The Legal 500, 2023)
"The team are extremely responsive, passionate and fight hard for their clients. They assemble a formidable team for each case and they leave no stone unturned."
(The Legal 500, 2023)
“Since my initial instructions to today, dealing with Angélique has been great. She is friendly and understanding and extremely easy to deal with. She is extremely professional in her approach and I feel confident in her abilities to get the job done. Matters have been dealt with swiftly and efficiently and I have been kept updated throughout. Angélique has reassured me and put me at ease and I extremely grateful to have her knowledge and approach working on my case.”
“Angelique has been outstanding. Excellent with the client, thorough and tough with the NGB, and has kept me in the loop throughout the large amounts of correspondence that have gone on in this case. The negotiations themselves were very lengthy and she was unflappable throughout. A real credit to Freeths LLP. I should say that I have not written a note of this kind before, and so that is also testament to how well Angelique conducted this case.”
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014