“Really clear, practical advice focusing on what we needed and which made the complicated seem straightforward.”
Tom has over 15 years’ experience of advising on tax and estate planning matters.
His experience has encompassed helping families, business owners, farmers, property owners, trustees and hedge fund managers in organising their affairs, typically on the reshaping or sale of a business, or when people decide to look at passing on their assets. Tom also works with many non-UK nationals (in particular when coming to and leaving the UK) and trustees, on both the complexities of the non-domicile regime and with ongoing compliance requirements.
Tom can advise on all aspects of personal tax, including inheritance tax, capital gains tax, income tax and (where appropriate) stamp duty land tax. He has worked in both law firms and accountancy practices and is able to work with other professionals efficiently in guiding clients through the implementation of any advice.
Tom also advises on charity law and governance, both for trustees of charities and for philanthropists looking to make charitable donations or establish charities of their own.
Probate Application Solicitors
- Advising a US client on the estate of his UK-domiciled parent, including high-value residential property and artworks, as well as various offshore investments and an interest in a US non-grantor trust
- Advising a farming family on the structuring of their family business, including Balfour advice on securing available inheritance tax reliefs
- Restructuring a significant Middle Eastern family construction business with interests in 15 countries, with the aim of securing the future of the business and introducing professional managers to work alongside the next generation of the family
- Advising numerous business owners on their tax position before a sale, with a view to securing all available capital gains tax and inheritance tax reliefs
- Establishing family investment companies for clients for whom trusts are not desirable and/or wish to involve their children in the running of their family’s assets
- Providing tax advice to owners of multiple residential properties on the process of incorporating their rental businesses
- Advising a UK-resident Indian family on the use of a non-UK trust to hold their family’s funds, and on the application of the UK/India double tax treaty
- Advising non-domiciled clients on their tax position before arriving in the UK, on suitable structures to hold UK residential property, and on their tax planning options when approaching ‘deemed domiciled’ status
- Establishing the UK office of a Guernsey-based private equity fund, including advice for ten managers relocating to the UK from several other countries, and working alongside corporate lawyers to ensure that the fund was appropriately structured from the individual managers’ and investors’ tax positions.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014