Infrastructure & Project Finance
Mapping the way
What is involved?
We advise our clients on structuring and financing ‘greenfield’ infrastructure projects and on managing operational projects.
Our team has advised on some of the largest and most complex transactions to come to the market, with an aggregate value in excess of £14 billion. Whether you are a promoter, sponsor, lender or contractor, we are well placed to assist you.
As a firm, we have many years’ experience working with owners, managers, funders, and procuring authorities in managing operational projects across a broad range of sectors.
Why choose Freeths?
- We are trusted by a number of the leading UK infrastructure funds to advise them on high profile, complex matters We believe that there is no better endorsement of our capabilities than our client base
- We have the strength and depth of resource, market knowledge and experience required to bring transactions to a close in a cost-effective and efficient manner
- Our team members have top level experience of advising on infrastructure projects, and a thorough understanding of project and finance documentation and how best to approach issues from the perspective of all stakeholders
- You can trust us to be commercially-minded, readily accessible and available to provide clear solutions
Our experience includes:
- Variations and change management
- Market testing and benchmarking
- Equity restructurings
- Secondary market transactions
- Data protection, freedom of information and confidentiality issues
- Adjudications, mediations and settlements
- Employment and HR issues
- Procurement and public law issues
Infrastructure & Project Finance Lawyers
0845 128 6958
Managing Partner - Nottingham & National Head of Commercial
0845 634 1725
Partner & National Head of Construction
0845 050 3667
0845 017 1122
0845 030 5737
Beware: Disclosure of Expert EvidenceArticles 24th Oct 2016
Stricter tests now required for authorisation of projects affecting water qualityArticles 11th Sep 2015
Freeths advise International Public Partnerships on the £14.3m acquisition of Lewisham BSF projectNews 23rd Apr 2015
"Freeths' 'first-class' practice was boosted by the arrival of 'well-kept secret' James Larmour... The firm is advising multiple transactions relating to BSF projects..."
(The Legal 500)
“Chris Freeston First ranked in Chambers UK 2014. He represents clients across the spectrum of corporate lending, specialising in project finance and property work. Sources affirm: ‘Chris is very easy to get on with and always on hand to give sound, pragmatic advice’.”
(Chambers & Partners)
"James Larmour delivers a high quality service across a wide range of market sectors."
(The Legal 500, 2017)
“Chris Holwell is recognised for his provision of front-end procurement advice. He regularly advises on sophisticated projects in the UK and internationally, and is described by interviewees as ‘a standout lawyer’.”
(Chambers & Partners, 2016)
"Freeths LLP has particular expertise in advising infrastructure investors and infrastructure funds on the financing (and more recently refinancing) of projects, and the team was again active in this regard in 2016. Stoke-based head of practice James Larmour is 'proactive and commercial'."
(The Legal 500, 2016)
“The ‘outstanding’, ‘proactive’ team at Freeths is led by Richard Williams, who has ‘a huge depth of commercial and technical knowledge.’”
(The Legal 500, 2016)
"...very capable, responsive and adaptable lawyers."
(The Legal 500, 2019)
- Advising INPP on its acquisition of an additional 40% interest in the Lewisham Building Schools for the Future Project from Babcock Project Investments for £14.3 million. This included conducting due diligence on the underlying project and finance documents, and negotiating acquisition documents.
- Advising the Project Company on the £177 million refinancing of a street lighting project.
- Advising the Project Company on the £54 million refinancing of a Building Schools for the Future Project.
- Advising Dalmore Capital on a significant acquisition from Sir Robert McAlpine of an additional 30% investment in the Newcastle Building Schools for the Future Project.
- Advising Amber Infrastructure in relation to INPP’s investment in the ‘Thames Tideway Tunnel’ to finance the development of a £4.2 billion “super sewer” in London.
- Advising Tarmac, as O&M contractor, in relation to the £600 million Mersey Gateway Project. The project featured the first wrapped bonds under the UK Infrastructure Guarantee Programme and a financing structure including long term commercial bank finance, a construction working capital facility and long term mezzanine finance.
- Advising TC Ormonde OFTO Limited on the restructuring of its senior debt facilities to allow for the receipt of Network Innovation Competition Funding from Ofgem.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014