Inner Hero banner Image

Youth Mobility Scheme Visa

How to secure a Youth Mobility visa

The Youth Mobility Scheme is for people aged between 18 and 30 years old (up to 35 years old if you are from New Zealand or South Korea) and intending to come to the UK for up to 2 years to live and work, or up to 3 years if you are from New Zealand. The scheme is open to nationals of the following countries:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • San Marino
  • Iceland
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • South Korea
  • Taiwan
  • Uruguay

You can also apply if you are a:

  • British overseas citizen
  • British overseas territories citizen
  • British national (overseas)

What about other countries?

Nationals of Hong Kong and Taiwan must secure a slot in the ballot system before applying for a Youth Mobility visa.

If you are from San Marino you must provide a letter from the Directorate of Political and Diplomatic Affairs of the Republic of San Marino Department of Foreign Affairs to confirm that you’re suitable for the Youth Mobility Scheme.

If you are from Iceland you must provide an Icelandic Criminal Certificate for Private Use (called a Sakavottorð). It must have been issued less than 6 months before you apply for the Youth Mobility Scheme visa.

There are quotas on the number of places available on the Youth Mobility Scheme which change from year to year.

What else should I know about the Youth Mobility Scheme?

To apply successfully you will need to demonstrate that you hold sufficient savings.

If you are from one of these listed countries, you will need a medical certificate to confirm that you are free of pulmonary tuberculosis.

You cannot apply if you have children under the age of 18 who live with you or children you are financially responsible for.

Can a person extend their permission under the Youth Mobility Scheme?

You can only obtain a Youth Mobility Scheme visa once. The visa cannot be extended and does not lead to settlement. You can however switch into some other visa categories in the UK which do lead to settlement.

What can a person do under the Youth Mobility Scheme?

Under the scheme you are permitted to work in most jobs, but not as a professional sportsperson or sports coach. You can study, but you may need an ATAS certificate for some courses. You can also be self-employed and set up a company, as long as your premises are rented, your equipment is not worth more than £5,000 and you do not have any employees.

You will not be able to claim public funds during your stay in the UK.

How can our immigration solicitors help?

Our immigration team can help guide you through the process of obtaining a Youth Mobility visa and ensure you satisfy the requirements in full. With over 30 years’ experience in UK immigration law, we are trusted to provide a responsive, full-service approach to ensure every visa matter is dealt with successfully and with a short lead time between instructions and grant of visa clearance.

With Freeths expert immigration support, you can be confident of securing the required immigration permission to enter the UK under the Youth Mobility Scheme.

If you would like to know more about the Youth Mobility visa, or need help with any immigration matter, then please contact our immigration team, who are on hand to help.

Get in touch


  • JZ

    "The service you provided was perfect. I would definitely use your company again. Thank you"

    Junping Zhang

  • LC

    “The Business Immigration team’s support has been invaluable to the University over a number of years, and in particular lately on Brexit, enabling...

    Lisa Courtney, University of Leeds

  • "Excellent support from the Freeths team. They have been able to answer all of our queries and provide the best advice in the given situation."

    The Legal 500, 2024

  • "We have worked with Freeths for in excess of 20 years. They have taken time to fully understand our business, how we work and what our standards a...

    The Legal 500, 2023

  • “I have always been happy with the advice and support received.”

    Chambers & Partners, 2023

Related news & articles

1 of 1
  • Article

    MAC publishes review of the Graduate visa route

  • Article

    UK business immigration: What can businesses expect under a Labour government?

  • Article

    Concerns over UK’s transition to eVisas and the digital system’s shortcomings

  • Article

    Labour Shortages in the Food Supply Sector and the Government’s recommendations to tackle the issues

  • Article

    The Migration Advisory Committee’s rapid review of the Graduate route

  • Article

    Imposter workers and illegal working within the delivery services

  • Article

    Sunak declines Youth Mobility Scheme offer between the EU and the UK

  • Article

    EU Commission proposes to open youth mobility negotiations between the EU and the UK

  • Article

    Economic Benefits of the Graduate Route

  • Article

    The Home Office accepts recommendations for improvements to the immigration system in the social care sector.

  • Article

    Confirmation of the Skilled Worker Changes 2024

  • Article

    Citizens Advice raises concerns about exploitation in the care sector

Get in touch

Contact us today

Whatever your legal needs, our wide ranging expertise is here to support you and your business, so let’s start your legal journey today and get you in touch with the right lawyer to get you started.


Get in touch

For general enquiries, please complete this form and we will direct your message to the most appropriate person.