"Lee Clifford is always reachable, pragmatic and technically gifted. Lee understands what it takes to get the job done within timescales and to a high quality."
(The Legal 500, 2019)
Lee is a partner specialising principally in private company work including private equity investments, mergers and acquisitions, disposals and private restructuring.
He acts for funders, entrepreneurs, corporates and investors. Lee’s expertise includes significant experience in private equity, acting for both private equity sponsors and management teams.
Lee is listed as a Recommended Lawyer in the Legal 500 (2020 edition) and is ranked in Chambers (2020 edition) as a Leading Individual.
- Advising the shareholders of Funeral Services Partnership (including August Equity) on the sale to Montagu Private Equity.
- Advising private equity backed Away Resorts on the acquisition of Sandy Balls Holiday Village.
- Advising LDC on the buyout of Forest Holidays.
- Advising the shareholders of CTC Aviation on the £75 million sale to Inflexion Private Equity.
- Advising the shareholders of Angel Springs on the £60 million sale to Castik Capital.
- Advising the management team on the MBO of Flow Communications backed by Maven Capital Partners.
- Advising management on the sale of Santia Holdings to Inflexion backed Alcumus Holdings.
- Advising the management team of Clamason Industries Limited on the management buyout by Connection Capital.
- Freeths Advises Innovative Safety Systems on Significant Private Equity Investment
- Freeths take lead role on Deal of the Year
- Freeths Advises BGF on its Investment in Global Returns Business ReBound
- Freeths Advises Management on the £22.5m MBO of Precision Micro
- Freeths advise on the sale of Anisa Consolidated Holdings Limited to Sanderson Group Plc
“Lee advised the management team at Dennis Eagle on the original buy-out and on the subsequent sale. Lee has a wealth of experience in the private equity field which was used to achieve a very good commercial position for the management team. His pragmatic approach and personal interaction assisted us immensely in achieving our goals successfully. Lee’s knowledge of the private equity market enabled him to highlight the key points for the management team and give us an excellent guide on what was achievable in negotiations. His negotiating style was very effective and achieved an excellent result for the team.”(Mike Molesworth, CEO, Dennis Eagle Group)
“Lee advised us on a key acquisition. He was incredibly focused on the detail and took full control of the legal process. In particular, we very much appreciated his project management skills. Lee was instrumental in co-ordinating the due diligence process and was always the first point of call for our team. He was always a step ahead in the due diligence process and was able to steer us in the right direction whenever an issue arose. Being ahead on the deal issues was rewarded in the contractual negotiations, where we achieved an excellent result as part of an extremely well managed process.”(Jonathan Halford, Finance Director, Forest Garden Group Limited)
“According to one client, Birmingham-based corporate head Lee Clifford is ‘a very professional and competent person’. The client continues: ‘He is receptive and goes that extra mile’. Clifford is well known in the private equity arena.”(The Legal 500, 2018)
“Lee Clifford leads the team in Birmingham and is highly active in private equity on both the seller and acquirer side.”(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
Lee Clifford heads the Birmingham corporate team at the firm and regularly appears on M&A and private equity transactions, as well as MBOs, for a range of clients. Sources say that he is “extremely professional, knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.”(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
“Lee Clifford wins praise because he is ‘never pushy, absolutely accurate and always responsive’. He is head of the Birmingham office and leads the firm’s national private equity group.”(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
Lee Clifford offers clients the benefit of his deep transactional expertise in his roles as head of the firm’s Birmingham corporate team and national private equity group. Clients say he “knows how to set you at ease, has a very nice manner and a calming approach,” and also note: “He clearly knows his subject incredibly well.”(Chambers & Partners, 2020)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014