Infrastructure & Major Projects
Building back better, greener and faster
What is involved?
Our Infrastructure and Major Projects Team can provide support at every stage of your project. We typically advise our clients at all stages of the project lifecycle from inception to completion and on operational matters in a diverse range of sectors including Regeneration, Infrastructure, Transport, Warehousing & Logistics, Education, Healthcare, IT/Telecoms, Leisure, Energy, Waste & Sustainability.
Our team has advised on some of the largest and most complex transactions to come to the market, with extensive experience acting for:
- Central government and major government agencies
- Combined authorities and local authorities
- Universities and Colleges
- NHS Bodies
- Other public bodies
- Equity and debt investors
Why choose Freeths?
Our Infrastructure and Major Projects Team includes specialists across a broad range of specialisms:
Our team’s experience includes:
- Structuring, procuring, financing and managing operational projects:
- Infrastructure funds
- Strategic planning
- Subsidy control, procurement and public law issues
- PPP, PFI, PF2, local authority companies, mutual investment model procurements
- Joint venture companies, LP/LLP structures-public, private and public/private
- Regeneration projects
- Digital infrastructure
- Transport infrastructure projects
- Due diligence
- Variations and terminations
- Market testing/benchmarking
- Equity restructurings
- PFI handback
- Secondary market transactions
- Data protection, freedom of information
- Adjudications, mediations and settlements
- Employment and pension issues
- Energy, waste and sustainability
- Electric vehicle charging infrastructure projects
- Heat Networks
We have an integrated nationwide team offering the complete range of services needed for transactions of all sizes. As a result, we can advise on all aspects of your project and are experienced in coordinating the input of lawyers to provide our clients with an integrated service.
Strength and Depth
We have the strength and depth of resource, market knowledge and expertise required to bring projects to a close. Our team members have top level experience of advising on infrastructure and major projects, with many of our lawyers having joined us from Magic Circle and other City firms.
The team members have great legal skill with the ability to deliver complex projects involving multi-disciplinary teams both efficiently and cost effectively.
You can trust us to be commercially-minded, readily accessible and available to provide clear solutions.
Freeths strengthens insurance offering with new Partner hireNews 12th Sep 2022
Freeths advise BGF-backed Hydrock on two acquisitionsNews 8th Sep 2022
To expiry and beyond: The IPA’s ‘Preparing for PFI contract expiry’Articles 7th Mar 2022
Infrastructure & Major Projects Lawyers
0345 030 5767
0345 126 3775
0345 128 6958
0345 404 4162
0345 634 2606
0345 077 9646
0345 128 7974
0345 077 9643
0345 128 6950
0345 017 1122
0345 274 6900
0345 274 6818
0117 472 5385
0345 030 5737
0345 030 5855
0345 166 6304
0345 340 4209
Kirstin Roberts FCIWM
0345 166 6299
0345 128 6996
0345 030 5718
0345 030 5681
0345 017 6020
0345 272 5720
0345 073 8396
0345 030 5641
0345 404 1725
0345 030 5824
0345 272 5730
"Practical and insightful advice" that "instils confidence in clients".
Freeths have an 'appreciation of long-term client relationships".
"Excellent advice, combining a solid understanding of the business context with careful evaluation of available strategies".
Freeths "has a clear understanding of its clients’ needs and aims and is relentlessly focused on achieving those".
- Liverpool City Region Combined Authority – advising on an ambitious digital regeneration project to create a new full fibre backhaul network comprising over 220km of ultra-fast broadband across all 6 Districts comprising the Liverpool City Region.
- Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council – advising the Council from the outset on a competitive dialogue process for the procurement of a development partner for its £150m town centre regeneration project.
- Cambridge City Council – advising Council on creation of a £220m JV with Anglian Water, funded by Homes England, to deliver new the “CNFE”urban expansion/ Garden Village for the City of Cambridge on the site of a Water Treatment Works.
- International Public Partnerships – advising in relation to its investment in the £4.2 billion Thames Tideway mega project.
- EV Chargepoint Infrastructure – advising a contractor on funding arrangements to support its obligations under a framework agreement with a number of local authorities to deliver the rollout of EV chargepoint infrastructure across publicly owned sites.
- ENGIE Services – advising client in relation to the replacement FM Contracts for both phases of Rochdale BSF following the Carillion insolvency.
- Allerdale Investment Partnership – advising on the restructuring of the partnership, a public private joint venture, devoted to developing a number of commercial development sites in the Workington/Allerdale area on behalf of the Council and a JV partner.
- Cornwall Council – advising Council on the Langarth Garden Village project involving the strategic acquisition and development of a new town with at least 4000 homes, new schools, commercial, retail and public space and a £47 Million grant funded highway scheme in collaboration with three developers.
- Building Schools for the Future Investments LLP – advising the team on numerous secondary market transactions in relation to the consolidation of its BSF portfolio.
- Cumbria County Council – acting on a £165m project application for the extraction of 2.7m tonnes per year of coking coal near the Cumbria coastline north of St Bees which attracted significant public and media interest on climate change grounds.
- Catalyst Capital – advising on the JV development of a 49.9MW transmission-connected battery storage project in the south of England, including negotiation of the investment documents, advising on the major equipment supply, balance of plant, long term services, optimisation services and asset management contracts, and carrying out due diligence on the land rights, grid connection, planning and environmental issues.
- Refinancing Projects – advising on the refinancing of the Blackburn1, Durham, Luton, South Tyneside and Gateshead 2 and Wolverhampton BSF projects, and the Liverpool Library PFI project.
- Derbyshire Dales District Council – acting for Council on a project for the outsourcing of waste collection, processing and transportation of waste with a separate third party contract relating to green waste recycling.
- TC Ormonde OFTO Limited – advising on the restructuring of the company’s senior debt facilities to allow for the receipt of Network Innovation Competition funding from Ofgem.
- Kirklees Council – advising Council in connection with a joint venture project between the Council and Cityfibre concerning a £30million full fibre network expansion across the Huddersfield region.
- London Luton Airport – acting for the operator of London Luton Airport in relation to their £150m expansion project involving a major expansion to the terminal building, a new aircraft access pier, new baggage handling systems and X-Ray facilities, new roads, car parking and accessways together with new taxiways.
- Amber Infrastructure – advising on the shareholder arrangements in respect of the acquisition vehicle for purchase of a majority stake in Service Terminal Rotterdam, a fully-contracted 242,000m3 marine fuel blending and storage terminal in Rotterdam, investing alongside funds managed by Access Capital Partners.
- Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council – advising the Council from the outset on a competitive dialogue process for the procurement of a development partner for its £130m town centre regeneration project.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014