How does intellectual property relate to commercial education?
The increasing use of AI based technology in this sector has been described by some as an ‘education revolution’. Our dedicated national IP team has significant experience in helping tech businesses protect the value of their significant investment by leveraging the full range of IP rights available to them. Whether that is by ensuring their brands can stand out in the marketplace, through to ensuring that their IP agreements add value by allowing for the development and monetisation of their IP rights.
How our intellectual property team can help
Freeths has a dedicated trade mark and brands practice, which has the resources and skills to employ a broad range of expertise and deliver strategies that are focused on your preferred outcomes. We understand the value of trade marks, the importance of registering them, enforcement, maintenance and policing them. Our trade mark services include:.
- Brand management, protection, exploitation, and enforcement trade mark and common law clearance searches.
- Global filing, prosecution, and registration of trade marks.
- Contentious matters: opposition, cancellation & appeals.
- Portfolio reviews and gap analysis.
- Management & coordination of local and global assignments.
- IP filing strategy for domestic and global brand protection.
- Policing of trade marks via watching services.
- Trade mark infringement and passing off advice.
We advised a co-founder on the ownership issues and strategy for future development in relation to a programme originally launched by the Department for Education in 2007 that was revised in 2019. It was subsequently further developed through commercial collaboration, including a deal with a renowned education publishing house. Our work has involved unpicking the past relationships, whilst also building a strategy to put forward for the future. With the commercial aims of our client in mind, we are continuing to support them to achieve their desired goals in an efficient and cost-effective manner.”
“Freeths’ IP team has spent time really getting to know our business and brand and what is particularly important to us. The team pro actively advise on brand protection, key case law updates that may impact our brand and present their advice in a commercial, pragmatic way.”
The Legal 500, 2023
Protecting your technology
When it comes to protecting your technology, we can work with you to deal with patentability issues, protecting your investment into software writing and development and IP agreements with third parties. Our IP services include:
- Advice on IP ownership and monetisation.
- Recording IP assignments, licences and securities at the UK IPO and at IP registries around the world.
- Domain name advice and complaints
- Advice on copyright ownership and infringement action
- Reputation management
- We draft and negotiate:
- Collaboration / joint-development agreements.
- Brand licences.
- Technology and know-how licences.
- IP assignments.
- IP due diligence when buying, selling or investing in technology
Advertising & Promotional Marketing
We also have deep experience in advising on advertising and promotional marketing across all media. This is a key area for tech businesses wanting to stand out from their competitors, particularly when making comparisons. Our services include:
• Reviewing and clearing content for broadcast and non-broadcast.
• Advising on pricing practices and pricing promotions.
• Liaising with Radiocentre, Clearcast and the ASA directly.
• Making and defending ASA complaints.
• Advising on appeals to the Independent Reviewer of ASA Decisions.
• Advising the rules around influencers inc. drafting and negotiating influencer agreements.
• Drafting and negotiating sponsorship agreements.
• Drafting T&Cs for competitions and giveaways.
• Helping clients avoid greenwashing.
Dedicated team with the experience to deliver thoughtful strategies focused on your commercial goals. We understand the value of trade marks, the importance of registering them, enforcement, maintenance and policing them.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014