Associations and Member Organisations
Integrated solutions for meaningful collaboration
An introduction to Associations
There are myriad associations, institutes, federations, and societies in the UK. Trade associations are a vital part of the UK economy, representing their sector to the Government, driving standards and sharing best practice.
Associations face an ever-growing list of challenges. As well as routine policy engagement to keep sector trade routes going and creating meaningful industry-wide collaborations, associations must also consider how they stand against the expectations of society and their members, addressing sustainability, diversity & inclusion and ESG.
Associations have not been immune to the global pressures in recent years, following the COVID-19 pandemic and Brexit, causing disruption to supply chains. Associations’ leaders must ensure that if they are to manage these multiple concurrent issues, they are thinking strategically and have a robust project delivery plan in place, coupled with adequate crisis management responses.
The role of the Association Senior Executive or CEO can sometimes be a short-term post, coupled with differences in leadership styles this can mean an increasing requirement to re-evaluate governance and strategy, be on top of technological advances and future trends, and manage the board/staff relationship all within a compressed timespan.
What sets our Association & Member Organisation expertise apart?
We understand that responding to challenges and delivering successful initiatives can make the difference for an association’s short-term and long-term viability and we collaborate closely with our clients to provide a full service offering to meet their needs.
We have a reputation for building long term client relationships, clients trust in us as a key strategic and operational partner.
An award-winning law firm, Freeths are recognised for delivering excellent client service and offer the complete range of services needed for those that manage and operate associations, institutes, societies, and federations in the UK.
Several of our team have committee and board member positions at Associations. We are affiliate members of several others, that strengthen and demonstrate our commitment to those sectors including delivering presentations, events and best practice in industry.
How can we help your Association?
We know that being the driving force of an association brings great responsibility to deliver on time and on budget. It also requires a partnership that has expertise and experience of your business model. At Freeths we have a resolute team of lawyers who provide integrated support, offering the complimentary services associations need to be successful, including:
- Advertising and Marketing advice in relation to ASA standards
- Centralisation of working practices
- Commercial agreements
- Corporate advice, structure and membership terms
- Data breaches and Cyber resilience
- Data Protection and Data Subject Access Requests (DSARs)
- Dispute resolution and complaints handling
- Employment advice and claims
- Intellectual property licensing and monetisation
- IT Solutions, Supply and Frameworks
- Leadership & governance
- Legalities and Ethics
- Member terms, rights, and requests to the Board
- Negotiating and drafting licensing and sponsorship deals
- Real estate
- Regulatory and compliance, e.g., Health and Safety
- Reputation and Brand Management
Some of our proud Memberships with Associations
- We are an affiliate member of the British Franchise Association
- We are legal partner for the British Ceramics Confederation.
- We author articles for the British Educational Suppliers Association
- Kirstin Roberts is a Chartered Waste Manager with the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM) and Chair of the Midlands Centre Council of CIWM
- Coralie Mckeivor is a committee member for the Association of Women in Property
- We are supplier members of the Confederation of Passenger Transport
- We are supplier members of the Association of Association Executives
- We are associate members of the National Franchised Dealers Association
- We are Associate members of Accessible Retail
- We are Supplier members of the UK Warehousing Association
- We are members of the CBI
- We are members of numerous regional Chambers of Commerce
Associations and Member Organisations Lawyers
National Head of Team
0345 634 2583
0345 634 2583
0345 030 5767
0345 128 7972
0345 404 4162
0345 077 9626
0345 274 6900
0345 634 2589
0345 050 3260
0345 030 5861
0345 126 4387
Kirstin Roberts FCIWM
0345 166 6299
0345 128 6996
0345 126 4384
0345 030 5728
0345 272 5741
- Advising a Board of Directors of an Association on its members rights to submit proposals within a given timeframe.
- British Dietetic Association – Brand protection, filing and prosecuting trade mark applications, negotiating and drafting licensing and sponsorship deals.
- Royal Society of British Architects (RIBA) – Reputation management and brand protection work.
- We act for a professional engineering body, most recently in connection with the organisation’s governance, on employment law in respect of a member of the senior management team who was the subject of a grievance and in connection with a data subject access request.
- British Horse Society on employment matters and member terms including guidance on the alternate corporate models for local riding clubs.
- Cats’ Protection League – centralisation of local branches, consolidating their differing work practices to one uniform standard.
- Incorporation of several student unions, including a mix of student and lay trustees, with membership effectively being entire undergraduate body.
- Children’s and Young People Programmes – YMCA Clubs – Member terms for sports village.
- Advising an Association on independent review into allegations of plagiarism and copyright infringement.
- Advising a member organisation regarding failure of their IT services contract relating to membership database and web-interface. Liaising with consultants on selection of a new IT membership solution and negotiating and drafting IT supply and maintenance contracts
- Acting for British Ceramic Confederation members particularly ceramic manufacturers and presenting at the member quarterly employment and mental health forums.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014