IT & Data
Grasping the intangible
What is involved?
IT law involves dealing with invisibles and intangibles. Whether you own an e-commerce website or need advice about installing new software, we’ll help you protect the real value of your systems – your data. You may need advice on website design, hosting, support or maintenance. Or you may need information about the licensing and distribution of your software (or even whether it will perform on a certain platform).
Our lawyers can help with a full spectrum of IT matters such as online services, outsourcing, framework agreements, and Data Protection and Freedom of Information. We understand that you want the best solutions for your money, without feeling swamped in a mixture of both legal and IT jargon. Call us now to see how we can help you.
Why choose Freeths?
- Our highly capable team understand the spontaneity of IT – we’re available when you need us
- We can refer to our legal expertise in employment and property to ensure you are fully covered
- You will benefit from clear and practical lawyers who are timely, friendly and great value for money
- We’re experts on complex IT issues relating to cloud computing, data centres and data security
We look after the legalities of everything you require from your computers, software and data – including your internet and e-commerce activities. From issues such as distance-selling or privacy regulations, to IT-related disputes, we can advise on every aspect of computing. For example, you can rely on us to understand the rights of consumers who buy goods online, and the issues surrounding marketing e-mails.
We also understand how to contract with IT suppliers and the potential issues beneath the transactions. We will advise you on what you are buying when you invest into IT, and help you create contracts that ensure you get the results you expect from your systems and technology. The practicalities of the deal are always at the front of our minds, and we’ll help ensure that you are legally protected in every aspect of your hardware and software.
IT & Data Lawyers
0845 030 5767
0207 440 5849
0845 404 4143
01865 781 054
0845 128 6954
0845 077 9581
0845 070 3810
0845 050 3617
0845 050 3684
0845 077 9626
01865 781 004
Dr Michael Servian
0777 629 5001
Freeths’ continued IT security confirmed with successful ISO 27001 auditNews 14th Nov 2018
Robots: much more than a compromiseArticles 11th Jan 2018
Freeths achieve ISO 27001 certificationNews 18th Dec 2017
"Freeths’ IT team is active on website, software, data protection, cloud computing and outsourcing matters. Deryck Houghton is experienced across the board."
"I have had the pleasure of working with Deryck Houghton on a wide range of contentious and non contentious legal matters. I have always found that Deryck provides friendly, helpful and pragmatic legal advice in a timely fashion and at a cost that we consider to be good value for money. We have used the services of Deryck for many assignments in the past and will continue to do so into the future."
(Martin McCloskey, Group Commercial Director, Capita Group plc)
"A ‘legal expert’ in information technology."
(The Legal 500)
"Oliver’s assistance on data protection, e-privacy and information security law has been most welcome. He has in-depth knowledge of the General Data Protection Regulation, which has been invaluable, and has provided very detailed advice."
(Data Protection Officer for a national charity)
- Representing a sports travel company in relation to a distressed IT project.
- Assisting a local council in relation to the early termination of a software implementation contract.
- Advising on the legal and compliance aspects of a national rollout of Wi-Fi services to consumers, including the protection of their personal data and direct marketing.
- Replaced a Building Society’s core IT systems, and renegotiated its central IT licences.
- Currently acting in relation to one of the largest IT and computer system disputes in the UK, relating to Post Office’s Horizon point of sale system.
- Advised the world’s leading payment systems provider, NCR, on its extensive supply of new ATMs and other IT systems/services to a major high street bank.
- Regularly advising clients on how to carry out direct marketing in a manner which complies with data protection and privacy laws.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014