Developing new homes nationally
What is involved?
Freeths have a long history of work in this sector and act for some of the biggest private house builders in the country. We are proud of our reputation as one of the pre-eminent law firms for residential development in the Midlands and beyond. Our experienced residential development lawyers can advise you on a wide range of transactions, from small residential development sites to major strategic land acquisition and promotion. We have the expertise to ensure that everything runs smoothly.
We can advise on strategic land, joint ventures, acquisition and development of residential estates, together with Housing Association disposals, residential property portfolio management, site assembly, funding, and planning and infrastructure agreements. We continue to help a wide variety of residential developers across the UK.
Why choose Freeths?
- We regularly assist national house builders, registered providers and landowners with high value projects
- Our nationally renowned Real Estate team has the resource to be there when you need them
- You can trust our lawyers to be commercially-minded and results-focused, and to help you to keep costs down
- We are based in offices all around the country, so we will have knowledge of your local area
Our team includes a large number of residential development specialists to deal with all aspects of your needs, with support from knowledgeable teams of lawyers covering environmental law, construction, planning, litigation and property tax. Whatever your project, you can talk to us with confidence that we have the expertise to find you the right solution. Call our residential development team now to find out how we can help you.
Residential Development Lawyers
0845 050 3273
0186 578 1205
0845 077 9675
0186 578 1058
0845 274 6826
0845 271 6787
0845 128 7961
0845 077 9639
0845 050 3645
0845 050 3634
0186 578 1147
0845 030 5784
0186 578 1171
0845 050 3647
0845 050 3635
0845 274 6811
0186 578 1060
0845 030 5770
0845 017 8382
0845 050 3613
0845 274 6857
0845 274 6890
0845 128 6990
0845 272 5684
0186 578 1148
0845 274 6923
0845 274 6821
0186 578 1080
0845 050 3650
Senior Property Executive
0845 274 6893
0845 404 4134
Managing Partner - Derby
0845 274 6810
0845 050 3628
0845 274 6809
0186 578 1151
Senior Property Executive
0845 274 6865
0845 050 3682
0845 274 6862
"Gary Reynolds is widely regarded as a residential development expert. His practice covers the full gamut of development matters and he regularly acts for a number of well-known house builders."
(Chambers & Partners)
"James Hart has always been able to gain a quick understanding of our requirements and his thorough manner and good communication skills have meant that the deals, whilst quite complex, have always moved forward to a successful conclusion."
(Regional Land Director, National Housebuilder)
"I have instructed Freeths for over 20 years… the service I have received has always been of the highest standard."
(Regional Managing Director, National Housebuilder)
"James consistently delivers an excellent legal service across a diverse portfolio of land acquisition agreements associated with residential developments. His knowledgeable and thorough approach is recognised and valued by all our team members."
(Regional Development Director in the housebuilding sector)
"He’s a calm hand at the tiller when you need one."
"Michael Taplin is managing partner of the firm's Derby office. He is well regarded for his extensive experience in all kinds of commercial and residential property development. Clients consider him ‘very impressive’ and peers comment on his strong local presence. He is described by market sources as ‘a very practical lawyer’."
(Chambers & Partners)
"We have used Patrick as our main legal provider on a wide range of commercial property transactions for several years - mostly for residential development but with some investment and financing transactions. He provides an outstanding legal service, in particular by being highly responsive and proactive, which is what our business requires. He is very ‘commercially aware’ - he understands our business and provides proportionate and creative solutions that allow for transactions to be carried out quickly and efficiently. He also provides straightforward and easy to understand advice. I would highly recommend him."
(Tom Dickens, Director, Inside Land)
"Caroline is approachable and knowledgeable, but most importantly available. To have the co-operation of a first class solicitor and her team makes my job infinitely easier."
(Anne Howarth, Bellway Homes)
"Claire has headed up a very strong legal team which has dealt with all the problems I have taken to her over many years as I have presented her with numerous properties, and the inherent and varied problems which occur when buying second hand houses. I have learned much from Claire, and have benefitted from her endless patience as she has responded to my never-ending queries and questions. Claire has always been available for help and advice with a smile."
(Annie Howarth, Part Exchange Manager at Bellway Homes Limited)
“Lesley Pollock is quick to answer calls, moves faster than others and is good at solving problems proactively. She leads the residential property team in th firm’s Oxford office and assists with the sale and purchase of country houses. estates and high-value residential property in London.”
(Interviewee from the HNW guide)
- Advising Bellway Homes Limited in relation to the ground-breaking partnering arrangement with Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council, InPartnership Limited and Whitefriars Housing Group for carrying out the major 15 year, £1.8 billion regeneration of Council estates in North Solihull.
- Acting for Milton Keynes Development Partnership in a wide range of residential and commercial development schemes. These were secured by way of development agreement and building lease within the borough of Milton Keynes. Schemes included education and health sites, residential developments, industrial schemes and town-centre mixed use developments.
- Acting for a consortium of national house builders in the purchase of land for 1100 houses from a consortium of 10 landowners subject to deferred payments and a number of overages.
- Acting for two land promoters in a series of promotion agreements to facilitate the creation of a Sustainable Urban Extension (“SUE”) for circa 6000 houses with ancillary schools, community facilities and commercial uses.
- Acting for a national residential developer in relation to the assembly of a development site in Cheshire, involving complicated timing issues and overage provisions.
- Acting for a developer on a conditional back-to-back purchase and sale of land. The sale was to a housing association at golden brick, with a linked JCT and a land-and-build price of £9 million. This is a transaction structure that Patrick has utilised many times, on behalf of landowners, developers and housing associations.
- Advising a major London local authority in connection with the development and sales of new build properties and regeneration projects at three new housing developments.
- Acting for Blueprint Limited Partnership in relation to the disposal of 160 new build plots at its residential regeneration and eco-development in Nottingham – including the grant funding agreement with the Homes and Communities Agency.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014