Forward thinking advice for developers
What is involved?
Commercial development projects involve a wide range of planning issues. We understand that you want to get on with things quickly and will navigate you through the process in the most commercially effective way.
Our Planners, Planning and Environmental lawyers can help you with planning applications, Local Plans and appeals, major development projects and urban renewal, and compulsory purchase and compensation. From listed buildings to affordable housing, our experienced and pragmatic Planners and solicitors have got it covered.
You can also trust us for expert advice on highways law (including road closures and diversions), Section 106 and related planning and infrastructure agreements, and negotiations with planning authorities.
We regularly work with commercial property owners, investors and developers including house builders, numerous housing associations, as well as local authorities and other public sector bodies.
Why choose Freeths?
- Our commercially-minded team includes specialist planning lawyers and chartered town planners
- We have extensive local government and private sector experience, giving us in-depth knowledge
- You will benefit from ongoing advice and recommendations about complicated changes in the law
- We can help with enforcement issues such as breach of condition/stop notices or related appeals
Planning and related environmental issues are often highly complex, and this is where our holistic approach really comes into its own. You can rely on our expert team take a 360° view of your development proposal. We can assist you with minerals and waste issues, contaminated land liabilities or conservation areas.
Our Retail team is also on hand to assist with Retail Impact Assessment and retail and leisure schemes.
There will undoubtedly be a long list of issues to deal with along the way, from national and local planning policies to environmental impact and sustainability. Our practical, commercially-minded service is designed to take on as many or as few of those as you want, expertly and cost efficiently. Call our Planning team now to see how we can help you.
0845 077 9675
Principal Planning Manager
0845 030 5748
0845 050 3676
0845 128 6958
0845 050 3674
0845 166 6293
Senior Planning Executive
0845 017 10922
0845 404 4102
Senior Planning Executive
0845 404 1736
0845 404 1735
0845 030 5729
0845 271 6783
0845 128 6957
0845 274 6809
0186 578 1151
0845 050 3682
0845 050 3677
Planning Update – December 2018Articles 22nd Jan 2019
Planning Update – November 2018Articles 14th Dec 2018
Planning Update – October 2018Articles 6th Nov 2018
"Chris Waumsley heads the department and is highly regarded for his depth of expertise in planning law, with an impressive track record in handling residential work. Sources say: ‘He's very knowledgeable and authoritative, and he knows his stuff - he's good to work with’."
(Chambers & Partners, 2014)
"Chris Waumsley has a strong eye for detail and lots of experience dealing with planning law. You can rely on his advice."
(Chambers & Partners, 2015)
"Commercial awareness" and "pragmatism", Freeths LLP "provides an excellent level of service."
(The Legal 500, 2019)
One source says: "They've got a strong property practice and a significant planning team." One client highlights the team's "excellent quality of work," adding: "They have a can-do attitude and a responsive approach towards the client's needs."
(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
- Advised Hallam Land in relation to several greenfield strategic housing sites successfully obtaining planning permission with and without appeals over recent years.
- Provided advice to Barret Homes in respect of development in a Conservation Area involving substantial demolition and heritage impact issues.
- Advised Commercial Development Projects (part of the Marshall group of companies) and Fitzwilliam Trust Corporation in respect 4 development sites in Malton, North Yorkshire 300 new homes, the relocation of the town’s livestock market and creation of a new Agricultural Business Centre and Business Park comprising circa. 25,000 sq m of new employment space. The Planning team coordinated a multi-disciplinary team in the preparation and submission of the various planning applications including a complex Environmental Impact Assessment, led negotiations with statutory consultees and drafted the Section 106 Agreement.
- Secured planning permission for a new food store on a controversial greenfield site in Malmesbury, Wiltshire which was located outside of the town, adjacent to listed buildings and within the Conservation Area, advising on retail planning and Environmental Impact Assessment issues; strategy and third party objectors.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014